Writing sample page requirements

litany239

For the writing sample on every application, there are pretty strict page requirements, especially with OSU (10-12). However my paper contains 2 pages of works cited and a cover page, in the past, has these extra pages counted towards the writing sample page requirements?

Granted I am in a different field, but, most programs I'm applying to explicitly say that works cited (and I would assume a cover page too) definitely don't count toward the page count. I would think that would be the same for most programs, seeing as just 7-9 pages of actual writing doesn't really match with the usual length of a grad paper (which is what they usually want to see, basically: are you at a place where you can meet the requirements you'll need to for your classes?). Though of course if you're worried about it and there's nothing specifically addressing it on Admission FAQ's etc., and you want to double check, you can always email and check with the DGS or whoever your programs asks that you send your questions to.