How many schools is too many?

futureslptobe

I'm applying to Speech-Language Pathology Masters level programs for Fall 2016. Some numbers: Cum. GPA: 3.5 Major GPA: 3.4 (hopefully will rise as the semester ends because I am retaking a major course, as well as taking two more major courses right now), GRE verbal: 146, GRE quantitative: 147, GRE analytical writing: 3.5. So far I have 18 schools on my "apply to" list. I think I have a good mix of "reach" schools, "middle" schools, and "safety" schools, but, like everyone else in my position right now, I'm paranoid. Is this too many schools to apply to? HELP. SOS.

Hi futureslptobe,

18 Schools is really too many. The process of applying to (and ultimately attending) Grad School requires a big investment of time, money and energy on your part, so you really should make sure that the Schools in question really are a 'good fit' for your personality and goals. 

The process of creating an effective application also takes time, so crafting 18 strong applications (and not just 'cut & pasting' the same application 18 times) is too much work (considering that in the 'best case' scenario, you would receive 18 acceptance letters and you'll still end up choosing just 1 School to attend).

To start, you should try to narrow down your list based on whatever variables you deem to be most important (cost, location, alumni, Program reputation, etc.). You might also have to retake the GRE to strengthen your chances at getting in.

GRE Masters aren't born, they're made,

Rich