How to focus resume/CV for professional IR programs?

Elvidi

Hi all, 

I'm just wondering if anyone has advice for tailoring a resume for grad/professional programs, especially as an undergrad with decent professional and international experience but with little research experience (just an in-progress honors thesis). Do you include things like relevant coursework? research interests? I've never formatted a resume for anything besides jobs/internships, so insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

From my research here is what I have gathered:

Previous school/degree, awards/honors/scholarships, papers/thesis, relevant internship/work experience, languages, technical skills (for research related programs). I don't think relevant courses is necessary since they will have your transcript anyways...but you can put it there for sure.

Am I missing anything else? :\

I'm also applying to LSE btw! Are you only applying to one program? Good luck :)

I'm also applying to LSE btw! Are you only applying to one program? Good luck :)

thanks for the advice! I'm applying to IR as my second choice at LSE. Good luck to you too!!

I've heard both yes and no for including relevant coursework. Any other thoughts out there?

What about length? In its current iteration, mine is slightly longer than my usual professional resume since the education section has been expanded ...

thanks for the advice! I'm applying to IR as my second choice at LSE. Good luck to you too!!

I've heard both yes and no for including relevant coursework. Any other thoughts out there?

nice! are you doing two separate personal statements or just one generic one?

the length usually is not an issue because CVs are designated to be a bit longer than resumes and it's supposed to show a comprehensive outline of your academic/professional life. so i think 2-3 pages is pretty fair...especially if you have gathered some work experience!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2015, 12:19:52, Elvidi said:

Hi all, 

I'm just wondering if anyone has advice for tailoring a resume for grad/professional programs, especially as an undergrad with decent professional and international experience but with little research experience (just an in-progress honors thesis). Do you include things like relevant coursework? research interests? I've never formatted a resume for anything besides jobs/internships, so insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Ditto with the others on the relevant coursework - it is redundant.

I went back and looked at the resume/CV I submitted and it was three pages with the following sections: Education (awards and foreign study in here), Skills and Competencies (languages and other relevant stuff in here), Domestic experience, International Experience, Publications, Professional affiliations.