is it OK to get a LORs from community college professor?

gctsan

Hey all,

I'm taking some courses to fulfill the pre-requisite requirements from the graduate program at the local community college. The math courses I'm taking are Linear Algebra and Cal 2, from the same professor. I'm doing pretty well in them, probably will get A in both. Do you think it would be appropriate to submit a rec letter from him? I'm applying for the data science program at Columbia, and one of my other letter is already coming from my undergrad institution. Do you think they would prefer the other letter also from my undergrad school? 
Also my GRE quant score is not too strong at 161Q and it barely passes the minimum so I thought a letter from the math teacher would be helpful. 

Thanks.

I think it depends. Can the prof at the community college say more about you than that you got/are getting good grades in their classes? If the answer is no that is not a good choice. An excellent LOR talks about your academic growth/perseverance, intelligence, and aptitude for scholarly achievement. If the prof just had you in a class that you did well in, no matter what the class, you are better off getting a letter from someone else. If they can do all those things I don't think it matters if they are at a community college or a university.