Please Evaluate Me

anthgraduate

STATS

• BA Anthropology (3.14)
  • MA Anthropology (3.94)
  • I also teach anthropology at a local state university
  • 17 credit hours of psych beyond intro (mostly graduate credits)(4.0)
  • Gre: V- 570, Q - 720 W - 5.0
  • Research experience: Anthro masters thesis and one psych research project in which I designed and carried out the entire process (paper under review)
  • 1 anthro pub
  • 1 psych pub (under review)
  • 1 psych pub (under revision)
  • Good LOR's (Thesis chair, psych research adviser, current dean) all of them know me well
  • SOP: Hopefully good

I just got off the phone with a graduate admissions person. After hearing about my stats, she asked if I had taken the typical battery of psych courses. This made me nervous because I really haven't. My psych course work is mainly graduate-level research and methods courses (1 advanced social psych course). I have never taken abnormal psych, adolescent psych, personality psych, clinical psych, cognitive psych etc. Is this a problem? I am applying to mainly mid-level PhD programs.

Thanks

why do you want to go into psyc? i don't know anythign about anthro reserach.....do you do alot of stats? i know stats is important when applying to psyc programs. iknow im applying to phil programs out of a psyc background and im trying to show how my psyc experience is relevant to a phil program which is pretty hard to make that connection of why im more useful then someone with a strict phil background

STATS

• BA Anthropology (3.14)
  • MA Anthropology (3.94)
  • I also teach anthropology at a local state university
  • 17 credit hours of psych beyond intro (mostly graduate credits)(4.0)
  • Gre: V- 570, Q - 720 W - 5.0
  • Research experience: Anthro masters thesis and one psych research project in which I designed and carried out the entire process (paper under review)
  • 1 anthro pub
  • 1 psych pub (under review)
  • 1 psych pub (under revision)
  • Good LOR's (Thesis chair, psych research adviser, current dean) all of them know me well
  • SOP: Hopefully good

I just got off the phone with a graduate admissions person. After hearing about my stats, she asked if I had taken the typical battery of psych courses. This made me nervous because I really haven't. My psych course work is mainly graduate-level research and methods courses (1 advanced social psych course). I have never taken abnormal psych, adolescent psych, personality psych, clinical psych, cognitive psych etc. Is this a problem? I am applying to mainly mid-level PhD programs.

Thanks

I did 5 years of physics (undergraduate + masters), no courses in Psychology, a few in linguistics. I got into a pretty decent Cognitive Psych program and am doing just fine (so far at least.. been just half a quarter!). IF you have relevant research experience and skills, and if you can get a professor interested in your application, that's what matters more than what courses you've done as you will have all the coursework you need in the first two years of your graduate experience in the program.

I did 5 years of physics (undergraduate + masters), no courses in Psychology, a few in linguistics. I got into a pretty decent Cognitive Psych program and am doing just fine (so far at least.. been just half a quarter!). IF you have relevant research experience and skills, and if you can get a professor interested in your application, that's what matters more than what courses you've done as you will have all the coursework you need in the first two years of your graduate experience in the program.

I'm not saying this with anything approaching certainty, but while I'm sure you can still get into a PhD program, you will probably be expected to do a full four years -- not merely go straight from masters to PhD. You'll likely have to spend your first year (maybe more) making up academic deficiencies.