GRE scores low / GPA decent / Good Research Experience - Can I get in?

rayyylife

Hi all,

I'm taking the GRE tomorrow morning and took a practice test today in which I got a 149 on verbal and 151 on Quantitative... I have been studying consistently and not much improvement on practice tests thus I am assuming this is what I will get on the test tomorrow. I'm applying to go to top-notch geology schools which require GRE scores to be in the upper 50th percentile, but they probably secretly want much higher scores than that. 

Is a GRE score indicative of throwing away applications? My undergraduate GPA was 3.5 and since graduating, I have had 3 internships at national laboratories thus having really good research experience. 

So essentially my question is, what do you think my chance is of getting into these schools if I can't get my GRE scores higher. I will probably take it one more time after tomorrow but I do not have too much more time to apply as applications are due in early January. 

-Thanks

In all honesty, you should email the schools what the average GRE of accepted applicants were.  After doing so, you can determine whether your GRE will hinder your application or not.  

(From what I have heard however, is that the GRE does not seem to play a huge role in admissions compared to letters of rec and research experience, so if you GRE score is below what the school average is, you are not out of the running, unless its abysmally low, like under 50 percentile)