Should I bother? (Improving AW)

Jolie717

While I am not particularly surprised, I am disappointed by my AW score of 4.0 (just found out today).  AW was the one area I did not practice at all as I was more concerned with my verbal and quant scores.  However, now that I have decided to add some combined MS/PhD programs to my application list, I am wondering if my current score will hurt me.

I am a decent writer when I have time to compose my thoughts and/or have knowledge on a topic.  But  timed "surprise" topic essays are apparently not my friend.

If I decide to retake I will only have six weeks to prep.  I am pretty sure I can get my quant score up in this time as well considering I didn't spend much time reviewing the math I haven't seen in years (OK - 2+ decades, lol).  If it makes a difference I am a full time student (senior) and I would need to still maintain my current GPA, work 16 hours per week, spend time with my sons and hubby and study for the GRE all at the same time.  Again.  Ugh.

Thoughts?  Does anyone have experience raising AW in a short period of time?

Most programs don't care that much about AWA and understand that it can be difficult to write under pressure. Verbal and GPA/ SoP/ recommendations all count much more, and your verbal score is quite good! If I were you though I might think about retaking it to see if you can boost your quant up to ~160. What type of programs are you applying to?

I'm applying to Speech and Language Pathology programs.  While I know I could get my quant score up, I wouldn't re-take the GRE for that alone.  I'm mostly wondering if it's foolish of me to spend time and money trying to improve AW - I haven't heard of many people retaking for this section at all.

Hi Jolie717,

With a 4.0 AWA score, you shouldn't run into any problems (most Programs 'want' a 4.0 or higher, so you're almost certainly fine to apply). Your GPA and Verbal Score are fantastic (and far overshadow the AWA). As such, if you're not interested in raising the Quant score, then you should stick with your current GRE score.

GRE Masters aren't born, they're made,

Rich

On November 4, 2015 at 11:26:30 AM, EMPOWERgreRichC said:

Hi Jolie717,

With a 4.0 AWA score, you shouldn't run into any problems (most Programs 'want' a 4.0 or higher, so you're almost certainly fine to apply). Your GPA and Verbal Score are fantastic (and far overshadow the AWA). As such, if you're not interested in raising the Quant score, then you should stick with your current GRE score.

GRE Masters aren't born, they're made,

Rich

Oops - just saw your response.  Right after I signed up for GRE #2.  Oh well - I decided to retake as I think I can do better on written and quant - I'm doing this for better funding rather than improving admission opportunities, as my current scores should be well within the limits of the programs I am looking at.  Wish me luck!