MFA Painting - Low Residency as an option?

paintergirl

I was wondering the same thing a while back but about photo mfa low residencies. I couldn't find a whole lot of information except that they are generally geared towards experienced/older or those already career artists. And they seem to be very expensive with little opportunities for funding. My professor asked why I would want an mfa experience that was part time and not really hands on. He said that for an mfa full-residency really is the most advantageous in terms of learning, growing as an artist, opportunities, and building a successful relationship to the community your school is located in - in terms of contacts, building a name and history etc. I don't know though. Still sounds interesting. I know Parson's and SFAI have a photo low-residency option

What have you heard about Painting MFA Low Residencies? Are there any that are good? Are they worthless in terms of eventually finding a "day job"/teaching position at a college?

Bard, maybe? They're a reputable program and I know their MFA is only summer / winter sessions for working people.

• 3 weeks later...

i think it totally depends on the program. a friend of my studiomate goes to maine college of art's mfa program, which is low residency. even though she is away during the year, she meets regularly with her adviser and the program seems super intense with lots of feedback and structure. i'm thinking of applying.

• 1 month later...

Bard, maybe? They're a reputable program and I know their MFA is only summer / winter sessions for working people.

Yes, I have heard fantastic things about Bard's program. I am applying there for Sculpture.

• 1 month later...

There is a low residency program at the Vermont Studio Center (via Johnson College.)

From what I have heard, you keep your own studio wherever you are and update them on your portfolio and statements. Also, you do two month-long residencies a year for three years. (or is it three a year for two years?) Something like that. I still have to research the details.

All I can tell you is that I did one residency at the Vermont Studio Center and it is a truly wonderful place. I loved it there. If my current applications don't work out I am seriously considering applying for this program.

Also, It looks like MassArt has a low residency program at the Fine Arts Work Center in Provincetown. I don't know anything about this one but I will look into it. I've heard that Provincetown is a cool place.