How to put these on my CV?

jlee306

Hello. I have been working on my CV for my application to grad school. I will be presenting a poster for my experimental psychology class at the end of the semester and I was wondering how I put that on my CV? What do I list it under? What do I need to say about it? Any other things I need to add that I may not know about? Also, I am on a research team researching teen pregnancy, perceptions of schizophrenia, social identity, and a couple of other things. How do I put this on my CV? Do I need to put the professor's name on there (the person conducting the research)? What all do I put under this section? Any advice will be appreciated! I have searched for CV examples with these items on there, but have had no luck finding any...if ya'll know of some, please give me the links. Thank you soooooo much for your help!

Hello. I have been working on my CV for my application to grad school. I will be presenting a poster for my experimental psychology class at the end of the semester and I was wondering how I put that on my CV? What do I list it under? What do I need to say about it? Any other things I need to add that I may not know about? Also, I am on a research team researching teen pregnancy, perceptions of schizophrenia, social identity, and a couple of other things. How do I put this on my CV? Do I need to put the professor's name on there (the person conducting the research)? What all do I put under this section? Any advice will be appreciated! I have searched for CV examples with these items on there, but have had no luck finding any...if ya'll know of some, please give me the links. Thank you soooooo much for your help!

Is the poster is for a class you're taking or something you applied for and got accepted to present? I wouldn't put anything on my CV that's simply a class requirement. In any case, you can put it under "poster presentations" - a section a lot of grad students will have on their CVs and more advanced academics will probably omit from theirs. You could also conflate this with the "papers" section so they both don't look so small :).

When I added RAships to my CV for application season last year, I included this information: the institute I worked for, project name, supervising professor, my job title, and a short description of my duties. Made it fit in 2-3 lines for each position I had. I put this under "research experience" and had it followed by "teaching experience".

Do you know this site? It has good examples of successful application materials and some very good advice. I'm not a big fan of the CV format there, but it does give you a good idea of the information you need to include in a CV.

Is the poster is for a class you're taking or something you applied for and got accepted to present? I wouldn't put anything on my CV that's simply a class requirement. In any case, you can put it under "poster presentations" - a section a lot of grad students will have on their CVs and more advanced academics will probably omit from theirs. You could also conflate this with the "papers" section so they both don't look so small :).

When I added RAships to my CV for application season last year, I included this information: the institute I worked for, project name, supervising professor, my job title, and a short description of my duties. Made it fit in 2-3 lines for each position I had. I put this under "research experience" and had it followed by "teaching experience".

Do you know this site? It has good examples of successful application materials and some very good advice. I'm not a big fan of the CV format there, but it does give you a good idea of the information you need to include in a CV.

Yes, this is for a class I am taking, but the professor, my advisor, and current grad students at the university all have told me that this project can go on our CVs for grad school. We are really conducting our own experiments and presenting them at a big symposium.

Thank you so much for the info...it helps a lot! And no I had not been to the website you provided. Thank you very much for that, it is very helpful!

Yes, this is for a class I am taking, but the professor, my advisor, and current grad students at the university all have told me that this project can go on our CVs for grad school. We are really conducting our own experiments and presenting them at a big symposium.

Put a section on your CV for publications (if you have them) and presentations - if you don't have any publications just call it presentations. Use the APA format for referencing conference papers & posters.

You can put the research team stuff under a section called "research experience", with a brief blurb about what the project is about and what you do.

Also, can I put "Dean's List" and "National Honor Society" (Vice President) on my CV? If I can put Dean's List, do I put how many years I have been on the Dean's List? I was VP of NHS in high school but I am obviously still a member of NHS, so can I put that on my CV or not? I guess while I'm asking these questions I might as well ask if I can put Phi Theta Kappa (honor society for community college) on there? I was planning on it anyway but better be safe than sorry. What about being conversational in a second language? Thank you!

Also, can I put "Dean's List" and "National Honor Society" (Vice President) on my CV? If I can put Dean's List, do I put how many years I have been on the Dean's List? I was VP of NHS in high school but I am obviously still a member of NHS, so can I put that on my CV or not? I guess while I'm asking these questions I might as well ask if I can put Phi Theta Kappa (honor society for community college) on there? I was planning on it anyway but better be safe than sorry. What about being conversational in a second language? Thank you!

Yes to all of the above, I've seen them all on many CVs.

Re: Dean's List - say which years (e.g. - 2001-2005).

Re: 2nd language - of course you should include that as well (e.g. - Languages: English (native), Klingon (conversational)).

The other stuff had better be addressed by people who understand them better. As an international I don't really know what they're all about... but I've seen them on people's CVs often enough.