help decide.. MS-Operations Research at GA Tech or MS-EMS at Columbia?

wifey99999999

Hi guys.

I have received admissions offers from Georgia Tech (MS - Operations Research) and Columbia (MS - Engineering Management Systems, which is similar to OR). I don't know which one to choose. I am still waiting on the decisions from other schools, although I don't think the chances are that good, and I am 100% satisfied with GA Tech or Columbia. One thing to note: I am going to get the masters degree via distance learning while working.

Georgia Tech... No.1 in IE/OR but not as many IE/OR courses are offered online.

Columbia... Ivy League name but not ranked that far from GA Tech, and more IE/OR courses are offered online than GA Tech.

Please help me decide which one to accept ... !

Hi guys.

I have received admissions offers from Georgia Tech (MS - Operations Research) and Columbia (MS - Engineering Management Systems, which is similar to OR). I don't know which one to choose. I am still waiting on the decisions from other schools, although I don't think the chances are that good, and I am 100% satisfied with GA Tech or Columbia. One thing to note: I am going to get the masters degree via distance learning while working.

Georgia Tech... No.1 in IE/OR but not as many IE/OR courses are offered online.

Columbia... Ivy League name but not ranked that far from GA Tech, and more IE/OR courses are offered online than GA Tech.

Please help me decide which one to accept ... !

I don't know how important big name schools are in engineering, but the combination of more courses and a more prestigious name could make Columbia a good choice.

Is financial aid a factor in your decision? If so, you could wait and see which might offer more scholarship money and make the decision that way.

I don't know how important big name schools are in engineering, but the combination of more courses and a more prestigious name could make Columbia a good choice.

Is financial aid a factor in your decision? If so, you could wait and see which might offer more scholarship money and make the decision that way.

Financial aid is not a factor. Company will sponsor.

That's a hard decision. Columbia has a well established name as a university. Georgia Institute of Technology however would be superior for your degree option. GA Tech's reputation is growing at an amazing rate, over the past 10 or so years it has seen substantial development. I assume your degree is non-researched based, in that case it might not make much of a difference what you choose. Georgia Institute of Technology would be my first choice however, but then again, you said your course availability as a distance learner might be a problem...

That's a hard decision. Columbia has a well established name as a university. Georgia Institute of Technology however would be superior for your degree option. GA Tech's reputation is growing at an amazing rate, over the past 10 or so years it has seen substantial development. I assume your degree is non-researched based, in that case it might not make much of a difference what you choose. Georgia Institute of Technology would be my first choice however, but then again, you said your course availability as a distance learner might be a problem...

You sum it up very well... it is really difficult decision to make.

This master degree at both schools is course-only degree (no thesis / project required, just complete 30 units and you are done).

The facts that Columbia is established and CVN offers more courses via online than GA Tech have me lean toward Columbia....