Writing sample for applications

davet73

I was wondering what is the main purpose of a writing sample? Is it to primarily (or only) examine an applicant's writing ability, or is it to see how an applicant can structure a paper, or both?

The reason I am asking is because I am deciding on what type of writing sample I want to send with my applications. I have a "regular" paper with an intro, lit review, methods and data section, results, and conclusion. However, I also have a literature review that I wrote for an upcoming chapter in a Sage handbook (that I am coauthoring with my current supervisor). I think that the literature review is significantly better written than any of my "regular" papers I have done. If I want to show my writing skills, I would want to send the literature review.

So, basically, I'm confused on which one I should send.

Cheers,

Dave

2 hours ago, PoliticalOrder said:

It's for both reasons...writing ability, and ability to identify a puzzle, theory, and how to support your theory.

You cannot submit something that is co-authored. 

It would only be the part that I had written, not the entire thing, but I get the point. 

The writing sample is supposed to showcase both your writing abilities and your research abilities -- that is, your ability to construct and sustain an original argument about something (preferably in your field of interest). A lit review that is co-authored with your advisor will not be good on either count, as it doesn't teach us much about your research abilities, and it would lead to questions about who did the planning and the writing (and if your advisor was involved in serious editing) of your writing sample. For these reasons, I think the other paper is the better choice here.

It seems that a solo venture would be preferable from the adcom perspective for the aforementioned reasons. 

For what it's worth, from what I have gleaned, it seems likely many/most -- though not necessarily the type of applicant who posts on these forums -- will similarly be submitting a "regular" paper for their sample. 

18 minutes ago, joseon4th said:

For what it's worth, from what I have gleaned, it seems likely many/most -- though not necessarily the type of applicant who posts on these forums -- will similarly be submitting a "regular" paper for their sample. 

FWIW, I submitted a "regular" paper as my writing sample. Did just fine.