SOP: research interests for a non-thesis MA

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering how specific I should get for a SOP for a MA that does not have a thesis option in its curriculum. Writing about my research interests/past experience is a little hard for me to begin with, because I was a pre-med English student (focusing on creative writing also... not literary studies) with an Art History minor. I'm now applying for Media Studies. I have studied quite a bit of film theory this past year independently after graduation to buff up my background and my writing sample.

I do have some fairly interesting (I hope!) potential research topics that I'm talking about for my MA programs that require a thesis: code-switching in East Asian and Southeast Asian film. (Most of these programs I am applying don't have a person doing work specifically on Asian film but rather someone doing work on language/identity in film or world cinema more generally... which, I feel like for a MA is "good enough"...?)

But how much should I say for the programs without a thesis option? Surely, I can address my interests for term papers and things like that, but I don't want to come off like I don't understand how this program works. Also, should I avoid naming professors I'm interested in working with? I contacted 2 people at one particular program and got no responses (this was for a program that does require a thesis), so I'm giving up on reaching out. Also don't want to seem overzealous as only a MA applicant.

Thanks for all your help!

Personally, I wouldn't consider the thesis/non-thesis requirement a factor in your applications. Regardless of whether you ultimately have to write a 60-page paper, or a few 20-pagers, the adcom is looking for your potential as a scholar. That means (among other things) research interests that show depth of thought and engagement with the material of your chosen era / genre etc. I would strongly discourage taking a "good enough" approach to your SOP, whether it is for a M.A. or not -- Ph.D. applications and M.A. applications should pretty much be thought of in the same way. Many on this forum have applied to M.A. and Ph.D. programs with the same SOP framework.

Again, don't think of yourself as "only" an M.A. applicant. Ph.D. may be the final goal for many, but the M.A. is not necessarily just a stepping stone...nor is it seen as such by most (some, to be sure, but not the majority). In other words, don't worry too much about things like thesis vs. non-thesis, an don't be concerned about POIs not emailing you back. Hell, I have former professors who I'm borderline friends with who don't email me back. It's nothing personal -- it's just a combination of email oversaturation and a prioritization of time.

34 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Personally, I wouldn't consider the thesis/non-thesis requirement a factor in your applications. Regardless of whether you ultimately have to write a 60-page paper, or a few 20-pagers, the adcom is looking for your potential as a scholar. That means (among other things) research interests that show depth of thought and engagement with the material of your chosen era / genre etc. I would strongly discourage taking a "good enough" approach to your SOP, whether it is for a M.A. or not -- Ph.D. applications and M.A. applications should pretty much be thought of in the same way. Many on this forum have applied to M.A. and Ph.D. programs with the same SOP framework.

Again, don't think of yourself as "only" an M.A. applicant. Ph.D. may be the final goal for many, but the M.A. is not necessarily just a stepping stone...nor is it seen as such by most (some, to be sure, but not the majority). In other words, don't worry too much about things like thesis vs. non-thesis, an don't be concerned about POIs not emailing you back. Hell, I have former professors who I'm borderline friends with who don't email me back. It's nothing personal -- it's just a combination of email oversaturation and a prioritization of time.

Thank you. I appreciate the reassurance. By "good enough," I didn't mean so much the quality of my SOP itself, but rather the "fit." There really aren't any professors in Film departments that offer a standalone MA whose work really matches my interests. And as someone who was on a completely different track in undergrad, I don't feel ready by any means to go for the PhD, even though that is the ultimate goal. There are, however, many in Asian/Asian-American Studies or Ethnic Studies who study what I'm interested in, but that's not really where I want to be.