I don't really have anyone "good" to ask for an LOR

DaniSwede

Hi all, I am applying to graduate school for public health and hope to start next year. The problem is that I don't quite have anyone to ask for a letter of recommendation from, and I need three. I moved a lot throughout my undergraduate years so went to several community colleges before attending a university where I only spent two semesters on-campus before doing my last one online. This means I don't have a single teacher I took for more than one class, and it's been a few years since I talked to any of my professors. On top of that I was definitely a quiet student and did not work closely with anyone. It's to the point where maybe it's best if I hold off on applying for another year to get to know potential letter writers better, though I'd prefer not to.

Here are my current options. Is it even worth asking?

1. A professor I took for epidemiology whom I talked to a bit through email and I earned an A in the class. I chose him since we did chat a bit and he would have an interest in the program I am applying. Cons: I took the class online and it's been three years. If I contact him then I would send my final research paper along so maybe he remembers me.

2. Volunteer lead for medical corps. However, though we have talked through email and she is aware of my volunteer activities, I have only been with the organization since August and never actually met her since we volunteer with other volunteers not directors.

3. Volunteer lead for Red Cross. The woman that I have volunteered a bit with and talk to through email isn't even the main volunteer director though, and again only been with them since August too.

My jobs since graduating college have nothing to do with public health. Is it worth a try to ask the people above, or just hold off until next year (which I'd hate to do)? Feeling a bit hopeless about this, everything else is in order besides the LORs.

I don't think the Red Cross people would be very useful if you've only been volunteering a few months and have never met them in person. Even if they agreed to write letters, I'm not sure what they could say that would be useful to you. Also, do the schools you're applying to have requirements on what your relationship is to the writer (for example, in my field it was recommended that all my recommendations be from professors, tho 1 was allowed to be from a professional supervisor)? If so, you might need to reach out to more professors anyway.

Do you live near any of the schools you attended, or could you arrange a visit soon? If so, I'd make a face-to-face appointment with your former professors to ask for your letters. I think this would probably get you better results, since they could at least get a read on who you are and what your interests are - very necessary for anyone writing you a letter. It would be pretty hard to write a praise-filled letter for someone you don't remember, but at least if you go into office hours and have a discussion about grad school and your goals, they will feel like they know you a bit and will be more invested in your success. You don't want a letter from someone who is unfamiliar with your skills and goals. As for who to reach out to since you said you didn't take multiple classes with any professors, think about ones whose classes you did particularly well in and professors who are well-respected in your field.