GEM Fellowship 2016

iCode

Hi everyone. The application deadline was this weekend. I wanted to make a thread for anyone else who is applying so we can have followup on acceptance/rejection timelines and overall status.

Links to prior threads:

Edited by iCode

Thanks for starting this iCode!

From the the 2015 and 2014 threads it seems the timeline for company matches is rather sporadic from December- March. However, the "Employee Member Status" began to change starting as early as the second week of December through March. 

Status Change Definitions

1. Matched - GEM thinks you're a good candidate and matched you with a company(companies) 
  2. Held - A company is reviewing your credentials and is considering an interview extension
  3. Release - if you went from Held to Release then the company was looking at you, but decided to pick another scholar. (This can happen after an interview also).
  4. Accepted - You got a company sponsor! Congrats!

During these status changes past applicants and Fellows experienced emails and phone calls from company sponsors for interviews and eventually offers/rejections. Overall, it seems like a huge waiting game where many applicants experienced  status changes every other week. 

As far as verifying University partners, I believe you have to self declare whether you got accepted or rejected. In doing so, you will get contacted by the University's GEM representative to further this step. 

- This was my interpretation from the 2014 and 2015 threads so if anything seems wrong, please correct me! Otherwise, we'll all keep each other posted!

• 1 month later...

I applied. I am kind of concerned because my employer status still says unmatched and based on last year's threads it seems that it should have changed by now. I am kind of bummed since I thought I had a strong profile. 

Edited by chompie

Mine says unmatched as well. I'm not too worried about it since we just started the year. If I don't see any status changes by the end of the month, then I'll be a little more nervous.

On the bright site, I got accepted into the grad programs I applied to.

My employer member status is also still showing unmatched. In other news, today is the deadline to submit the thee applications to GEM member schools. Good luck to everyone!

Edited by Ivanjam
Correction

• 3 weeks later...

Also still unmatched on my end.

I noticed that the University Member Submitted Applications section on my portfolio is still listed as 2. I've been accepted into 3 programs and updated their status as "Applicant Self Reported Accepted"  for all 3. Only one of the schools has verified me as "Accepted". The other two are listed as "Applied" and "Pending Verification". Is this the same for anyone else? I think this may be one of the issues for no changes, but this is due to the schools lack of participation.

22 hours ago, iCode said:

Also still unmatched on my end.

I noticed that the University Member Submitted Applications section on my portfolio is still listed as 2. I've been accepted into 3 programs and updated their status as "Applicant Self Reported Accepted"  for all 3. Only one of the schools has verified me as "Accepted". The other two are listed as "Applied" and "Pending Verification". Is this the same for anyone else? I think this may be one of the issues for no changes, but this is due to the schools lack of participation.

Pretty much the same situation here. 2 schools that I have been accepted to are still listed as "pending verification", although I did update their status to "Accepted With Funding". I can't even find a GEM representative listed to get in touch with.

Edited by Ivanjam
Formatting issues

I sent and email via their contact form regarding the updates for university status as well as one to a gem rep for the school in question.

Something of note, they have a job listing for CEO https://egem.gemfellowship.org/careercenter/ViewJobPosting.aspx?contextID=10112. Maybe something happening at the executive/management levels is delaying progress with applications. I wish we had more applicants in this thread to assume though.

Has anyone heard anything since national interview day February 12th? We were supposed to be notified of full sponsorship by March 1st. I still have a good feeling about my interview so I'm genuinely confused. Still no change in the online system. Is it a little bit less organized this year compared to past cycles?

On 3/2/2016 at 6:43 AM, chemgirl2013 said:

Has anyone heard anything since national interview day February 12th? We were supposed to be notified of full sponsorship by March 1st. I still have a good feeling about my interview so I'm genuinely confused. Still no change in the online system. Is it a little bit less organized this year compared to past cycles?

Hi chemgirl2013. What is National Interview Day? That's news to me..

Hi Jose,

I followed up with my point of contact and they gave me a cryptic message, saying whether I find myself working with them or not they wish me the best.

Basically a sugar coated "we haven't decided yet". I'll update this thread if I hear things!

Same here :( Honestly shocked considering they took 2/3 people my employer interviewed. I had exactly the appropriate background. I almost think it was personal-- maybe the people who interviewed me thought I was a know it all. Oh well. I'll wait for NSF and I got some internal funding from some of my programs. Good luck to everyone else! 

Did anyone get a follow-up email nominating them for the University ("Associate") fellowship? Apparently the school can sponsor you instead of an employer. I tried asking some of the programs I'd been accepted to, and none of them participate even though they're listed as participating on the GEM website. Do any schools do this? Which ones?

14 hours ago, chemgirl2013 said:

Did anyone get a follow-up email nominating them for the University ("Associate") fellowship? Apparently the school can sponsor you instead of an employer. I tried asking some of the programs I'd been accepted to, and none of them participate even though they're listed as participating on the GEM website. Do any schools do this? Which ones?

Yes, I got that email. I know for sure that Ohio State, the University of Iowa, and Clemson University accept GEM Associate fellows.

Edited by Ivanjam

• 3 weeks later...

HM for NSF. Darn it. Has anyone been able to become an Associate fellow through a specific school? It would be really nice to have my own funding and work with the better PI's that might not be taking students. (5 years of funding is a pretty sweet deal!)

Edited by chemgirl2013