Latin in High School

IoSpero

How do I make my HS Latin come across in my application? I took Latin all through HS with "Summa Cum Laude" every year on the NLE culminating in AP Virgil. In undergrad I took Ancient Greek because I was confident in my Latin skills. Now that I am applying to PhD programs I don't want them to think I don't know any Latin. I am undoubtedly rusty but it seems ridiculous to exclude all that work. How do I reflect that in my application? I have Latin listed in my CV and there is a line in my SOP about when I am on the job market I will be able to teach Latin if necessary. 

The line on the CV is the best place to put it, and if it fits in well in your SoP, also good. Further, some individual programs (especially those with language requirements) will have a specific part of the application form that asks for language background (usually requiring info about how many years taken, estimated level of fluency in reading, writing, and speaking [each separately]).

I agree, generally you list your languages in the CV, and many applications require that you list them and years or study either in the form or as an attachment. Since you're going for archaeology you might say something to the effect that you have strong training not only in that area of Classics, but in both Greek and Latin as well. Emphasizing your competence at the languages as an archaeologist is definitely a positive.

I assumed when filling out the language portion of the application that it was a request for modern languages, since 'reading', 'writing', and 'speaking' are not categories I would classify ancient language knowledge. Should I list my ancient languages and just place my speaking knowledge at "beginner"? Usually the applications won't allow you leave blanks. 

I know that language knowledge is key with archaeology applications which is why I am eager to reflect that I do have training despite it not showing my transcripts. 

Yeah, I guess either go with beginner, or just match it to the level of your reading/writing if you can't leave it blank. They definitely want ancient language knowledge as well, and will probably realize the reason that there's an apparent discrepancy in your levels of reading and "speaking" knowledge, if you list the latter as beginner. However you list it though, since it's kind of an unanswerable question--or one just unintentionally incompatible with the application system--, I don't see it being something that'll come under any serious scrutiny.

16 hours ago, IoSpero said:

I assumed when filling out the language portion of the application that it was a request for modern languages, since 'reading', 'writing', and 'speaking' are not categories I would classify ancient language knowledge. Should I list my ancient languages and just place my speaking knowledge at "beginner"? Usually the applications won't allow you leave blanks. 

I would guess that this just reflects a standard application format that your department didn't (or wasn't able to) modify. I definitely would include your relevant languages in that section. 

As for the speaking level, the most straightforward thing would be to call the admin person in the departments in question and see what they recommend. If in doubt, putting beginner or matching to your level of reading skill would probably be fine.  

On 11/16/2015, 4:14:36, IoSpero said:

there is a line in my SOP about when I am on the job market I will be able to teach Latin if necessary. 

Not your question, I know, but this seems like a weird thing to have in your SOP. Also, if you only took Latin in HS, I would doubt the veracity of your statement.

Edited by telkanuru

11 hours ago, telkanuru said:

Not your question, I know, but this seems like a weird thing to have in your SOP. Also, if you only took Latin in HS, I would doubt the veracity of your statement.

I have to agree - and you will have language requirements in your doctoral program anyway! A rephrase might be useful - maybe something along the lines of you hope to teach languages in the future as well? It shows a commitment to teaching and to the ancient langs without sounding like an exaggeration - and unfortunately telkanuru is right that most people on admissions committees will doubt that your Latin is still (or was) good enough to make this claim. You could maybe state you want to get back into Latin - and it might be a good idea to be refreshing your skills in the meantime and to let them know that you're doing this, to explain/ downplay the pause. I've not taken Latin since December 2012, nor Greek since April 2013 (I was doing an MPhil in Classical Arch that had no language reqs), and I'm ramping up my language practice on my own (will be reading sections of Livy, Dionysius of Halicarnassus, and Diodorus Siculus) because I know this gap looks terrible!!

Rephrasing it at least frames it as a goal of your doctoral program without jumping ahead to when you've finished the PhD.