When to take the exam ?......Confused

Mona_1993

Hi

I am in the final year of my master's and  I decided to apply for PhD programs in education, but my GRE score is not good.

V: 144, Q: 161, AWA: 3.0

Unfortunately, I don't have to time to re-take the exam this year. Should I re-take the exam in Feb and apply for Spring-2016 or give more time for preparation and go for Fall-2017? I also have to take Subject GRE. 

What to do?...

What field are you in? In many fields, there are very few spots open for Spring semesters, so if it's too late for you to apply for Fall 2016, it might make sense to wait until Fall 2017.

The subject GRE is only offered a few times a year (Sept, Oct and April, I think), so keep that in mind too. I would recommend that you take the Subject GRE in April (in case you want to retake it), which means you want to give yourself time to study for that and space out the General GRE. If you are applying for Fall 2017, that means you will be submitting applications a year from now, Nov-Dec 2016. If you take the Subject GRE in April 2016, then maybe a good time for the General GRE could be February 2016 or after the Subject GRE, maybe in the summer June/July 2016.