PhD English -- Women's Studies, Gender, Feminist Theory

Hello All,

The one thing that's been an absolute enigma to me is figuring out program "fit" -- I've done the whole faculty bio, thesis topic, course offerings search, but frankly I feel like strong programs are well rounded in just about every area...am I wildly mistaken?

That being said, I am really interested in programs that are strong in women's studies and women writers. Can y'all throw some programs out here that you know excel in this area?

I'm looking at WUSTL, Rutgers, Emory, and UCLA for starters...

Thanks!

Pamphilia: Well, I'm interested in women writers in general, but more interested in time periods and/or regions where they tend to still be somewhat marginalized (so not 20th century British but yes, American Frontier Literature or early British Literature, for example). I guess I'm inspired by the work Anne Mellor did for women writers and romanticism....if that helps at all. I didn't major in English, so actually one of my applicant weaknesses is my somewhat hazy lack of focus, of which I am acutely aware.

rainy_day: Thanks! I'll go check them out!

UM Ann Arbor has a dual PhD program in English & Women's Studies that looks marvelous. And David Halperin's there! Definitely check it out, although it's highly competitive.

Otherwise, the UC schools - specifically UCSC, UCB, and UCI - seem to be feminist studies-oriented.

Yes, it seems like the UC campuses are all pretty strong in this area...unfortunately they are all also highly competitive. :(

Dual program in English and Women's Studies??? I'm checking out Ann Arbor right this moment!

A professor mentioned CUNY Graduate Campus (Institute?) the other day....anyone know about their program or if they're strong in women/gender studies?