Syracuse Graduate School Fall 16 - MFT

taahir91

• 2 months later...

I'm thinking about going! I got accepted into their dual MSW/MFT program and I'm trying to decide if getting both degrees is worth it. I also got into UB's social work program which would be much cheaper.

I was also admitted. The cost is so high that I might choose the MSW at Rutgers. Syracuse is my top choice, however, so I hope to can come back here after getting some news on the funding front to say that I am going!

I was speaking to an alum of Syracuse and she seemed to think that if the admitting program doesn't offer an assistantship, that there are other opportunities to apply for assistantship positions outside the program. Does anyone know if that is the case? 

• 3 weeks later...

@dame @Marleyyy_SAlluding to the assistantship. .I was told if you don't receive  an assistantship  then it is very hard to get one outside of your department. The tuition at SYR  is ridiculous. Definitely  having  2nd thoughts 

Was accepted into a MSW program instate  that is 35k cheaper per year compared to SYR.

What you guys think?.

Good to know! It is so hard to make a choice with all these unknowns.

Do you want to stay in state post-graduation? I have received a lot of advice about attending a program where you hope to live for networking purposes.

That makes sense to me, but I have been doing a lot of research and had to get real about what I might have to pay in student loan payments after graduation. I want to live in the NJ/NY area, and I just don't think I can manage the payments after the Syracuse tuition and have a good quality of life. Have you used loan repayment calculators to compare your options (assuming you are going to take loans)? When I narrowed down programs I wasn't being realistic about the cost vs. what I will make after university, but after looking at the financials I have definitely decided against Syracuse. 

I would love to be in the NJ/NY area as well . Definitely would attend Rutgers for a PH.D in msw.  However, I wouldn't mind being in northern va , DC area. That is where the msw program I got into is located. Your right it does make sense to reside in a area you went to grad school at for networking purposes 

After doing research I don't think the name "Syracuse  University " plus the cost is conducive now nor in the future. I believe work experience will thump any piece of paper with an top 50 school printed on it.

I did look at how much I would be paying per year to pay-off the syr loan debt using a loan calculator. I didn't like what I saw but I did come across a mft  repayment  program where you would sign-on for 2 years working for a hospital, prison,or some nonprofit for X amount of year's and they will pay X percentage of your federal loan's. 

But there were not that many organizations  across the state's offering that program,  pretty selective,  not all states have such an organization. Compared to msw,  every state offered those programs some like Florida, NC,GA,NJ,NY offered an abundance of those programs.

Then I found out, a LCSW can become  a LMFT without receiving a MFT degree but a LMFT would need to receive a degree in social work to become a LCSW. I highly doubt I'm attending Syracuse. I told admissions at SYR that I'm coming,  sign there enrollment paper but I recently discovered this information. I'm most likely not attending unless they offer me a graduate assistantship.

• 1 month later...

Congratulations! After reading so much about students struggling with these decisions, I think you will be happy saving the money and you will have a great experience at GMU. I also declined Syracuse, as they only offered me a 6 credit scholarship. While I am so thankful to have been given anything at all, that didn't even make a dent in the overall cost. I will be attending Rutgers this fall, and I am very happy with that decision. Best of luck to you at GMU, and if you end up in the NY/NJ area, hit me up!