circumstances

tyedye

HI I'm a undergraduate student in my last semester  at ryerson university.  This is my dilemma, due to a disability that went undocumented in my first two years of study and then I had to take 2 semesters off due to this disability insurance have a low gpa and I want to apply for mpa/mpp programs carleton, Ryerson,  Queens ect. Due to my subscription 3.0 gpa do you think I have a chance and should  I put an explanation  of my personal circumstances  that affected my Academics  in my sophomore? 

• 2 months later...

I recommend working for a year or two within an NGO or public organization. See what the landscape is and find your interests.  Work experience helps when grades aren't great, and real world experience provides context that is not found in MPA/MPP courses. 

3 hours ago, WhatAmIDoingNow said:

I recommend working for a year or two within an NGO or public organization. See what the landscape is and find your interests.  Work experience helps when grades aren't great, and real world experience provides context that is not found in MPA/MPP courses. 

In addition to this, I would suggest taking relevant courses in public policy if you can through an online program, perhaps. Statistics, calculus, economics, etc. 

As for the application, consider including it in your SoP. I have seen successful SoPs that incorporate life experiences such as this to help make a point about how you are more concerned and motivated to better the world in some sense, and also how you have become more resilient and mature. It can be worked into your narrative, in other words, if done carefully and with humility. Your Letter of Recommendations can also help to make up for this: pick people who know you and your circumstances well and can vouch for your success moving forward.

Good luck!

Edited by goforthegold

Its ok to have a rough time at a certain point in your undergraduate experience. No one holds that against you. But to gain admission to a graduate program, its not enough to give an explanation and let that be the end of it. You have to demonstrate recovery and show that you are now capable of doing academic work, even though you weren't before.

I came back from an undergrad gpa of 2.87, and similar personal challenges and setbacks. The graduate program I applied to was not overly competitive and I was able to gain admission with a few good years of work experience and gpa. But I encourage you to shoot higher than I did. I did not know about admissions when I started but I do now and I will share what I know with you, so you can do better than I did.

You can get into any program you want. Even top american programs. Your first step should be to find a job and develop compelling experience in the public or non-profit sector. If you have to start volunteering in a field that you find emotionally compelling and meet as many people as you can. Network while pursuing conventional job searches. When you have 3 years of work experience you will be ready to apply.

While you are working, seek out a community college or open enrollment public college in your town, that offers undergraduate math courses at night. Start taking one course a semester beginning with calculus 1. Over the next three years take calculus 1, 2, 3, linear algebra, introductory statistics and intermediate statistics. Take a course in intermediate macro economics and one in intermediate microeconomics over the summer. Study as hard as you can so you get an A or A- in each of these courses. With only 1 course at a time this shouldn't be too much for you. At the end of 3 years you will have demonstrated the capability to succeed in tough courses and will have distinguished yourself as a candidate with a strong quantitative background. Masters programs can't get enough of these types of students.

Finally, don't allow yourself to be a victim of your experience and don't make excuses. You are empowered to change your academic direction. Over the next three years dedicate yourself to changing your path. Put all of your effort and energy and focus into achieving this. If you make this your passion, you will succeed and you will get into any program you want to.

Edited by publicaffairsstudent