To what extent can strong GRE scores compensate for mediocre GPA?

St0chastic

Hello all,

I've finished submitting most of my applications to Cognitive Psychology/Cognitive Neuroscience Ph.D. programs.  Of course, I know that no one outside of the admissions committees can answer "what are my chances" questions, but I am curious about how much strong GRE scores can compensate for a weak GPA.  My general GRE scores were 170 V/168Q/5.0 AW, and I scored an 830 on the psychology subject test (>99%).  Unfortunately, I have a very mediocre GPA (3.71), although it does have a positive trajectory with all A's senior year.  

Does anyone have any sense of how most programs weigh GPA vs GRE scores?  

Edited by St0chastic

Hi,

Not a troll.  It's just that many/most of the programs out there post 3.8-3.9 average GPAs, so I know I'm below average in that respect.  Is it fair to say that the GRE is mostly just used as a way to winnow down the number of applicants and that scoring highly on it doesn't give you much of an advantage?  Based on what I've read, I think you are correct in that research quality and fit are the most important factors along with letters of recommendation.  Here's how Michigan weigh the different factors: http://lsa.umich.edu/psych/prospective-students/graduate/program-statistics.html

Edited by St0chastic

32 minutes ago, St0chastic said:

Hi,

Not a troll.  It's just that many/most of the programs out there post 3.8-3.9 average GPAs, so I know I'm below average in that respect.  Is it fair to say that the GRE is mostly just used as a way to winnow down the number of applicants and that scoring highly on it doesn't give you much of an advantage?  Based on what I've read, I think you are correct in that research quality and fit are the most important factors along with letters of recommendation.  Here's how Michigan weigh the different factors: http://lsa.umich.edu/psych/prospective-students/graduate/program-statistics.html

A filter is the best way to view GPA and GRE's.  Your numbers are above the filter line for every psych program in the country, so I would recommend not worrying about it.  Just focus on gaining as much relevant research experience as you can and refining your SOP.  There are some good books on Amazon on writing a strong SOP, and I'd recommend buying one if you can afford it.  The book will help you understand exactly what a PhD program is looking for in prospective students, and you can tailor your SOP and prepared interview talking points around that.

Edited by Ben414

11 hours ago, Ben414 said:

A filter is the best way to view GPA and GRE's.  Your numbers are above the filter line for every psych program in the country, so I would recommend not worrying about it.  Just focus on gaining as much relevant research experience as you can and refining your SOP.  There are some good books on Amazon on writing a strong SOP, and I'd recommend buying one if you can afford it.  The book will help you understand exactly what a PhD program is looking for in prospective students, and you can tailor your SOP and prepared interview talking points around that.

Thank you!  I've submitted most of my applications for this year already.  Worst-case scenario, I can spend another year working as a lab manager/study coordinator/RA and try and get a publication.  It's just very intimidating reading about admissions statistics (e.g., at Michigan they accept less than 7% of applicants), so the admissions process is very nerve-racking.  

Edited by St0chastic