African Literature and Authenticity

I'm tossing around my statement of purpose for my MA to various professors. My interests lie in critical theory and post-colonialism, particularly African Literature.

One professor warned me that I'll have a tough time making it in Af Lit since many programs emphasize "authenticity" and I'm a white female. I was honestly surprised that he warned me outright, although this professor has always taken a very "practical" approach in his advice about grad school.

I am for the most part inclined to dismiss the warning, particularly after scanning various English faculty with interests in poco and Af-lit and finding a mix of backgrounds.

Thoughts?

I'm tossing around my statement of purpose for my MA to various professors. My interests lie in critical theory and post-colonialism, particularly African Literature.

One professor warned me that I'll have a tough time making it in Af Lit since many programs emphasize "authenticity" and I'm a white female. I was honestly surprised that he warned me outright, although this professor has always taken a very "practical" approach in his advice about grad school.

I am for the most part inclined to dismiss the warning, particularly after scanning various English faculty with interests in poco and Af-lit and finding a mix of backgrounds.

Thoughts?

I'm curious about this as well. My primary interest is the Caribbean, and while yes, that area varies a lot in terms of ethnicity, I do wonder if it "matters" that I am a white American female.

That said, the only prof at my MA institution that teaches Afro-American lit is a white male, and the only prof that teachings African lit (as part of a World Lit seminar) is a white female. I go to a medium-ish state school with no ph.d program.