GRE Advice...Retake?

mararum

I just took my GREs and got a 700 Verbal and 730 Math.

I don't know very much about the grad school application process; I graduated this past summer from undergrad, so there isn't any one I could really ask about this sort of information. I think I might want to look into Economics programs. Also, what type of schools should I be aiming for? I would love to go to University of Chicago or Columbia, but that seems extremely doubtful. There isn't much information I could find at the schools' respective websites either, which concerns me, as I have a 3.58 GPA.

All of my worst grades were in Economics, and I was under the impression that you need a pretty high gpa in the field of your study to be a competitive candidate for grad school. That, coupled with my Math score, leaves me with the impression that I might want to retake; I spent two or three weeks studying for the GREs, so I figure I should technically be able to improve with more time. I honestly don't know what I should do. My verbal score doesn't seem to be very helpful to me if I'm looking at Econ programs. I have research/internship experience and good LOR, but I feel that I'm not a very strong candidate with my background and this GRE score.

Anyways, I would really appreciate any advice that could be given.

Sincerely,

Utterly Confused

Let me preface this by saying that I doubt I know much more than you about the grad school application process, but...

I wouldn't worry about your GRE - it's quite good, and increasing it would not, IMHO, make your chance of admission greater at any school with its priorities straight (I scored about the same, so I have an invested interest in thinking this). Is your research experience in your field? Are your LOR writers economists, or do they at least understand what studying Economics would entail? Do you have a strong idea of why you want to study Economics, and what you would want to research in the future? These seem like much more relevant questions to me.