Statements of Purpose (Art PhDs)

ProspectiveProspective

I suspect I may be covering well worn ground, but I wanted to get a sense of what people think in relation to two problems that I've encountered in writing my SOPs. 

The first issue is: how much detail am I meant to give about my proposed PhD topic? That is, I can't quite work out if I'm overreaching in the amount of detail that I've included about my proposed research (thereby alienating potential supervisors), or if I've been too scant?  What is the balance? Should I just say "contemporary art" and then give a few broad strokes, or really home in on a particular topic? 

The second issue relates to applications asking about my future career prospects. It seems so strange to be talking about an ideal job that is likely more than a decade away. Am i meant to name a specific position? Or is that overreaching!?! 

Thanks for reading and indulging my questions/rant... 

If it's a program with two years of coursework before you start on your dissertation, then you don't want to be too specific about a topic, because profs know your subject will change. Instead, you want to clearly lay out the area you want to study and discuss the larger questions you'd like to explore. It's a tricky balance, because you have to be specific yet show you're open. Certainly, it's not enough to say "contemporary art." What artists/movements are you interested in? What issues are you interested in? What kind of approach would you take to explore those issues? You want to demonstrate that you know the main issues in your field and that you're able to ask good questions.

Also, no, do not discuss your ideal job. Should, however, mention if you'd like to go the university or curatorial route, if you know.

• 1 month later...