MSW/PsyD/PhD

AshleyParis

I know this topic may have been discussed to death and I've looked at many threads on this...but still need some direction for my set of circumstances

a) career goals- all I want to do is talk to kids and help them through traumatic experiences.  

b ) I would like to do private practice

c) I LOVE to learn so length of time doesn't really matter to me.  

d) Therapy is my priority (being wtih the kids) but I do want a comprehensive look at how the mind works and to know more in depth about how trauma affects the brain etc. Testing would be cool too, but my clients are the priority for me, as well as flexibility (my dream is having a private practice)

e) I have debt from law school.  Debt sucks so this IS a concern but I'd rather be in more debt doing what I actually love.  I'm a public interest attorney with debt... I have no money anyway. 

f) Psyd v. Phd- I've heard that Psyd is more clinically focused so I'm drawn to that, but I heard that it's usually unfunded.  :/  Should I just give up the more comprehensive approach, avoid the GRE, and more debt and get an MSW?

Please please help :) I'm open to all suggestions.. going to law school was one of my worst decisions.  I didn't take time to think it through and ask enough people about the realities of it, so don't want to make the same mistake twice.  Thank you!

Speaking from the MSW perspective...

It is a pretty comprehensive program. You learn about human development and childhood trauma. Heavy focus on trauma and how it affects clients. When I worked with people who were homeless it was shocking how many were victims of childhood trauma. You begin to see correlations very quickly. You also get the chance to learn about systems, policies, institutions, etc. and how that can influence trauma. MSW can allow you to do just therapy and have your own private practice if you get your clinical social work license. If you end up going the MSW route, look for a program with a clinical or mental health emphasis. Some MSW programs are more general or policy based. Any other questions just ask :)

20 hours ago, AshleyParis said:

I know this topic may have been discussed to death and I've looked at many threads on this...but still need some direction for my set of circumstances

a) career goals- all I want to do is talk to kids and help them through traumatic experiences.  

b ) I would like to do private practice

c) I LOVE to learn so length of time doesn't really matter to me.  

d) Therapy is my priority (being wtih the kids) but I do want a comprehensive look at how the mind works and to know more in depth about how trauma affects the brain etc. Testing would be cool too, but my clients are the priority for me, as well as flexibility (my dream is having a private practice)

e) I have debt from law school.  Debt sucks so this IS a concern but I'd rather be in more debt doing what I actually love.  I'm a public interest attorney with debt... I have no money anyway. 

f) Psyd v. Phd- I've heard that Psyd is more clinically focused so I'm drawn to that, but I heard that it's usually unfunded.  :/  Should I just give up the more comprehensive approach, avoid the GRE, and more debt and get an MSW?

Please please help :) I'm open to all suggestions.. going to law school was one of my worst decisions.  I didn't take time to think it through and ask enough people about the realities of it, so don't want to make the same mistake twice.  Thank you!

In my program, we had a lot of discussions about private practice, because a LOT of people entering MSW programs have that goal.  While it is an attainable goal, there are things to be aware of, too.

• Before you can bill as an independent therapist, a clinician has to achieve a certain number of hours of supervision from an LCSW.  It's typically two years.  Unfortunately, supervision is expensive, unless you find a job at an agency that provides supervision for you (in which case your salary may be lower).  It costs between $100-$300 per hour (yikes), if it's not provided at an agency.  After you've gotten your two years of supervision, you've got to pass an additional licensing exam. (But hey, then you can charge $100-$300 per hour to provide supervision!)
  • Private practice requires generating your own caseload.  Making contacts during your first two years is crucial so that you develop a strong reputation and will have referral sources.  Beyond that, it's about marketing.
  • More and more people are attempting to go into private practice, so saturation of therapists is something to be aware of.
  • Private practice may not necessarily allow you to serve the population you want.  A lot of children with trauma are treated in agency settings, so it may be that you find agency work fulfilling.

That said, there are lots of ways to accomplish your goal of doing therapy.  MSW, MS in Counseling, MFT.  People in my MSW cohort who did internships with folks from other disciplines in a mental health setting felt that those folks got more instruction in mental health techniques and theories, so I would advise looking at different programs and seeing what bests meets your goals and interests.