Hello I'm new to this forum...need advice and ideas

tesolin4languages

Hello every1

I'm looking into applying for universities for next year 2016-2017 while I finish my GREs.

However, I noticed some universities, namely MIT, does not even require GREs.
Are there any notable universities that don't require GRE's?
And, hey, I know I'm late when it comes to applying...I have time. But do you know of any with late application deadlines?
What about those that also give you funding (unlike MIT)?

I'm sure I'll end up taking the GRE because I'm asking for too much :)
But just maybe someone knows something more.

I want my major to be in SLA/Applied Linguistics.
Thanks in advance
TESOL IN 4 LANGUAGES

5 hours ago, tesolin4languages said:

Hello every1

I'm looking into applying for universities for next year 2016-2017 while I finish my GREs.

However, I noticed some universities, namely MIT, does not even require GREs.
Are there any notable universities that don't require GRE's?
And, hey, I know I'm late when it comes to applying...I have time. But do you know of any with late application deadlines?
What about those that also give you funding (unlike MIT)?

I'm sure I'll end up taking the GRE because I'm asking for too much :)
But just maybe someone knows something more.

I want my major to be in SLA/Applied Linguistics.
Thanks in advance
TESOL IN 4 LANGUAGES

SLA/Applied Linguistics may not be the same as Linguistics in many schools, so better check with both Linguistics and Education departments.

I know Michigan and UCLA linguistics departments do not require GRE scores. Maryland does not 'absolutely' require GRE scores for admission but you're encouraged to send high scores for securing financial aid. I've seen Ohio State's explicit GRE requirements for fellowships so I think it's better to have those scores.

Some departments with deadlines in Jan: Rutgers, MIT, Harvard, Illinois, Stony Brook, Maryland, Cornell, UMass Amherst. Again all are linguistics departments.

And I think MIT is the only department I've seen that does not promise funding for admitted students..

All the best :)

5 hours ago, ylsun136 said:

SLA/Applied Linguistics may not be the same as Linguistics in many schools, so better check with both Linguistics and Education departments.

I know Michigan and UCLA linguistics departments do not require GRE scores. Maryland does not 'absolutely' require GRE scores for admission but you're encouraged to send high scores for securing financial aid. I've seen Ohio State's explicit GRE requirements for fellowships so I think it's better to have those scores.

Some departments with deadlines in Jan: Rutgers, MIT, Harvard, Illinois, Stony Brook, Maryland, Cornell, UMass Amherst. Again all are linguistics departments.

And I think MIT is the only department I've seen that does not promise funding for admitted students..

All the best :)

Don't be tricked by what has been said on the site of MIT. Even though funding is not guaranteed, in practice they always offer very good funding package for those who get admitted.

It may be their strategy to reduce the number of applications they receive by implicitly telling those who apply to MIT primarily for their funding.

Everyone who is admitted to MIT is funded. The policy is that everyone gets the same amount, so there can't be any competitiveness around that issue. However, MIT doesn't offer a degree in SLA/applied linguistics, so OP, I think you need to do a better search to find schools that can meet your needs.