Paint me a picture on how realistic it is for me to get into grad school

Melindrea

Hello! This is a long read so please forgive me.

So, my GPA is pathetic. 2.5 overall. My Psychology GPA is 3.0 or so, though. I went to a private, liberal arts college and I entered my undergraduate life forcing myself to be a Chemistry and Biology major. I was also minoring in exercise/health sciences. I was miserable and hated it. I did so poorly, it affected my overall GPA. I was actually academically dismissed my GPA was so low (oops). However, after working with an advisor and appealing my dismissal by writing a well-written, argumentative letter, I was accepted back into school (which is a rare occurrence). I did a lot of maturing, changed my major (my advisor noticed I did well in general psychology and I did take an interest to it) to Psychology, and ended up doing a ton better. Eventually, I raised my gpa enough that the academic committee sent me a letter that I wasn't even on academic probation anymore. The provost himself signed it, congratulating me on my hard work.

I did so well I made Dean's list my last semester, was accepted into the competitive nursing program (I was still in my exercise/health science major as well), did my senior thesis with cancer-based research under one of my professors (results weren't significant enough to be published, though), and received an "outstanding academic achievement" certificate. I did plenty of psychology research through courses (the class sizes were smaller, and our courses such as Sensation & Perception and Research Methods requires students to form a research project, execute it, and present results. Again, nothing is published but I have experience working with statistics, research papers, and the general research process). My social psychology professor even selected me amongst several other students to go to Germany and Austria for a spring semester. At school, I was well-known in the Psychology department, and did very well in courses, especially in Abnormal and Developmental.

I'm currently working as a mental health worker in a short-term psychiatric hospital for kids. My aim is behavioral clinical psychology (a focus with adolescents) so I do have work experience. I love my job and so glad I decided to pursue behavioral medicine. I would like to continue on and become a behavioral clinical psychologist.

I have yet to take the GREs (I have been studying for months preparing because I know I'll have to rock them). I definitely plan on taking the general GRE, but am debating if I should bother with the Psych one (all the programs I am applying for do not require it, but I feel I would do well on it and would like to strengthen my application as much as possible).

The programs I would like to apply for have the usual minimum of a 3.0 GPA for psych, 2.7 for general admission. So I am below the cutoff, which is off-putting. However, I have been working on my personal statement explaining my school circumstance, what I learned from it, and relating it to my current work experience. I have three professors (1 in social psych, 1 in developmental psych, and 1 that coordinated my senior thesis) that would gladly write me letters of rec.

So questions:

1. Realistically, what are my chances of getting accepted? Academic dismissal is a major turn-off, as is my gpa, so I'm worried.

2. Is the Psych GRE worth my time and money to strengthen my app even if it is not required?

3. Is my situation with my thesis/nursing program even worth mentioning? I had an odd mix of Psychology and Exercise/Health Sciences because I thought it would be a good fit with behavioral medicine. I'm familiar with things like psychopharmacology, brain anatomy and physiology, etc that can relate to the Psychology field.

4. I have a few other options if these seem like better ideas: If rejected from all the schools I apply to, I can either get an online MS (they are not accredited by APA, so I would have to do well, show that to a physical university that is accredited for a doctorates) or enroll as a non-degree student at any of the programs I apply for.

Thank you

There is a sub 3.0 acceptance thread around here somewhere. You have many of the things that people usually have when they have success, including improvements in grades in later semesters, relevant research and experience, and a compelling explanation for early failures (programs love that "rebound", from what I've seen). Make sure that you address that turnaround in your letter, and you should be ok.

That said, seeking out funded MA programs, if they exist in your field, may give you a chance to improve your track record even more before the PhD level. Also talk to your profs, and people at your work that have the degree you want, as they are your best resource here.

I second Heavensmaiden that it really depends on the kind of program and area you're interested in. The counseling focused programs mentioned above are good options if you'd like to focus on practice over research, and a low GPA is less likely to count you out of those programs.

Otherwise -- if you're interested in going the clinical psych Ph.D route -- I would recommend doing a master's in psychology (go for accredited, not online programs) to boost your GPA and to show that you can perform well in graduate level psych classes. There are a number of funded master's programs that are worth looking into (you'd also get a master's thesis, which could turn into a pub, under your belt). 

Re: question #2: Yes, I would study for and take the psych GRE test if you think you'll do well. Like you said -- anything to strengthen your application!

#3: Again, depends on the kind of program/research area you're interested in. Do you have an interest in health psychology? Clinical neuroscience? It sounds like your experiences would be really relevant then. Otherwise, I'd say they're worth mentioning in something like a personal statement (and definitely CV) as they're solid research experiences -- and research skills generalize. (I've heard from a number of people that though I'm applying to some labs whose areas of interest I don't have a ton of direct research experience with, my strong research experiences in other areas would still put me in the running. "It matters that you have good research experience, not necessarily research experience in this exact area," is more or less what I've heard.)

Hope this helps!

You were accepted into a competitive nursing program---did you end up attending? I couldn't tell from your post. Psychiatric nursing (a master's degree) is an option too. 

Hi everyone. Thank you so much for the replies!

I did plan on getting an MA/MS in either clinical psych or behavioral clinical psych through a university. I figured if I was accepted, I could improve my gpa/do a masters thesis to assist me. Eventually, I'm aiming to pursue a doctorates later on, but figured my current gpa needs some help.

As for the nursing program, no, I politely declined it. It was a new major offered at my school, and the chair of the department loved how hard I worked in her Pathophysiology class. I applied for it because I honestly was interested in it, and I wanted to help my gpa (it would have been my second bachelors degree). Unfortunately, they wanted me to start taking courses ASAP and hospital rotations began in the spring. I did not have enough time to complete certain courses (I was already full on credits my last two semesters, and needed the already registered courses to finish my first degree), plus I was leaving for a travel spring course in the spring that was required.