Finished my masters two years ago - how to get involved in research again?

dmacfour

I finished school two years ago with a masters in experimental psychology. I'm working full time at the moment, but would like to go for a PhD. I'm gearing up to apply next fall (and the fall after if necessary), and want to get involved in some research in the meantime.

The school I'm interested in has an extension campus in my city. At least one member of psych faculty is based/does research here. and I was thinking about contacting him about opportunities. Is this a valid strategy? Is it common or even possible to work in someone's lab without being a student? 

Edited by dmacfour

Yep, that would be what I would do. Inquire about paid positions as well as volunteer opportunities, if those interest you. It may not be possible for you to be affiliated with or work for the lab, or there may not be any open spots, but you won't know unless you ask. Even if you can't get back into research, something you could think about is going to colloquia and other public events, both as a way to show your face around and to have some exposure to research, even if only passively. It'll be helpful for your SOP, too, so you can talk about the steps you've taken to get back in the field. 

19 hours ago, fuzzylogician said:

Yep, that would be what I would do. Inquire about paid positions as well as volunteer opportunities, if those interest you. It may not be possible for you to be affiliated with or work for the lab, or there may not be any open spots, but you won't know unless you ask. Even if you can't get back into research, something you could think about is going to colloquia and other public events, both as a way to show your face around and to have some exposure to research, even if only passively. It'll be helpful for your SOP, too, so you can talk about the steps you've taken to get back in the field. 

Well, I'm happy to report that that's exactly what I needed to do. The professor I contacted said they don't have volunteer positions but that I could send him my CV and be considered for a paid position.