How do I dress for cold/snow (Worcester, MA)?

evelyynnn

I was recently invited to interview at UMass Med School in Worcester. Being a California native, I have no idea how to dress for the cold weather/snow and am looking for some advice/answers to some questions I have:

1) Will there actually be snow/ice or am I stressing for no reason?

2) Any advice for layering/staying warm without getting too frumpy/bulky? I was planning on wearing outerwear (maybe a peacoat?) over a blazer and whatever's underneath. Is that  going to be too much? I'm just imagining having to hold a coat during tours/interviews and that already seems like a hassle.

3) The location for dinner on Thursday night seems pretty fancy (hotel/restaurant website says "attire is casual or business"), but seeing as it's a dinner with the students of the program, how dressy should my outfit be? I realize the note at the top of the schedule (screenshot attached) says that business casual is appropriate for the entire weekend, but I don't want to seem overdressed or like I'm "trying too hard." Are dark wash jeans, boots, a nice shirt/blouse, cardigan, and a blazer appropriate? Or are the jeans too casual?

Screen Shot 2016-01-09 at 7.29.46 PM.png

This week?  If so there is really no snow in the forecast. I would check a weather app.   Wear whatever you planned, but with an overcoat, gloves and hat. If you find weather calls for snow or shush you can bring some boots, but you probably won't be walking the streets much. 

I would not consider jeans business casual. 

Good luck ! 

Edited by tuckbro

if it's gonna be cold:

- if you don't want to appear bulky, consider getting these thermal undergarments. you will feel warm outdoors and not too hot indoors. much better than layering.

- if you can get your hands on a neckwarmer, it's much better than scarfs.

- when you get into a warm environment even for a short time (e.g. car) be sure to open your coat, remove your hat, or you will feel dizzy from the change of temperature

- don't overdo it ;)

Edited by random_grad

1.  It depends on the snow and ice.  It is entirely possible, check the weather forecast a few days ahead.  It will definitely be cold though so you won't really change that much with what you are wearing regardless of precipitation. 

2.  You are going to want/need a coat.  A peacoat at a minimum.  You'll also want: a hat, scarf (peacoats don't do a great job of protecting your neck/torso from cold winds) and a pair of gloves or mittens.  It is a hassle to take those things off and hold them but that is just how it has to be.  No one will think less of you for holding a coat or having to first set it down before exchanging handshakes etc.  Everyone will be in a similar boat.  As a woman you can easily have a tote that you can stash some of the smaller items (hat, gloves, scarf) as soon as you walk into the building.  Generally on interview days they try to keep you out of the cold and having to take stuff on and off so the person taking you around will be aware of this and keep that in mind.  I had an interview in a very snowy place once and it snowed like 8 inches the morning of the interview.  I ended up having a pair of boots that i can walk easily in snow with and I stashed my heels (that had the proper hemming to my pants) in my tote.  My grad student taking me around was a guy and totally understood the situation and was like "take your time and get situated, it is really smart you brought those boots etc" They get it.

3.  I don't consider jeans business casual so take that as you will.  It sounds like the Thursday dinner is going to be simply a meal at the hotel you are staying at?  Sounds like it'll be catered in a meeting room there and fairly casual.  Generally things with just grad students is going to be casual.  It is a travel day so this allows some extra time if there are delays without really starting the interview process.  The grad students will probably be in jeans but that doesn't mean you get to be.  I'd wear a nice pair of pants and the same outfit as you described, just upgrade from jeans.  Don't be worried about looking like you are "trying too hard".  Just dress as the school outlined (business casual).