Michigan Ann Arbor 2016

morifol

Ok, this thread is sooo tiny... I'm sure it feels bad among to others. I will share my applicant profile here:

GPA (undergrad, general): no idea (I graduated from an institution outside the US), but not impressive (in my university you had to ignore some courses, because they were deadly boring)/ My undergrad university does not even appear in the rankings (but I love it dearly, am devoted to it, and I write about it in my SOP)

GPA (undergrad, major): no idea, but should be good

GPA (grad, MA): should be awesome, I graduated with distinction. I did my MA at a bigger university, too.

GRE: Q 154 V 165 AWA 4.0 (still killing me)

TOEFL: 113

LORs: great and pretty lauding with lots of info & details

SOP (both of them, as Michigan wants an academic one, and personal one): not sure. Lots of details about my experience and ambitions, but one doubts everything in mid January. Also - can a SOP be too passionate?!!! Mine is poetic, too.

Experience: 1 year in a business school think tank in a big country that allowed me to actively consult top university management of top universities + the Ministry of Education itself + keynote speaker at a round table in another country devoted to the betterment of education.

Edited by morifol

1 hour ago, morifol said:

Has anyone done proper research on Michigan funding?

When I went out there in October they told me that it is fully funded with a 2400/month stipend during fall/spring semesters. If you take summer classes it is not covered. 

7 minutes ago, carol64 said:

When I went out there in October they told me that it is fully funded with a 2400/month stipend during fall/spring semesters. If you take summer classes it is not covered. 

Thank you! That sounds pretty awesome.

12 minutes ago, carol64 said:

How did you find the grad school in general? Housing, atmosphere, grad students, professors?

2 hours ago, morifol said:
34 minutes ago, morifol said:

How did you find the grad school in general? Housing, atmosphere, grad students, professors?

I loved it!  The student I met with seemed really happy. The professors were great. The atmosphere was comfortable. I loved all the support staff there as well. I didn't check out housing as I intend to live off campus if it's the place for me (I have a dog). 

1 minute ago, carol64 said:

I loved it!  The student I met with seemed really happy. The professors were great. The atmosphere was comfortable. I loved all the support staff there as well. I didn't check out housing as I intend to live off campus if it's the place for me (I have a dog). 

Oh! That sounds lovely!

I have no investment in this topic, but did you guys notice on the results page:

The University Of Michigan - Ann Arbor Combined Program In Education And Psychology, PhD (F16) Accepted via Phone on 20 Jan 2016   20 Jan 2016
  • POI left a voicemail telling me I've been accepted into the program. Email with the funding offer and visitation day information to come.

Dunno if this is relevant to y'all.

2 hours ago, Heather1011 said:

I have no investment in this topic, but did you guys notice on the results page:

The University Of Michigan - Ann Arbor Combined Program In Education And Psychology, PhD (F16) Accepted via Phone on 20 Jan 2016   20 Jan 2016
  • POI left a voicemail telling me I've been accepted into the program. Email with the funding offer and visitation day information to come.

Noticed it and had a panic attack about it at work earlier, so lovely to see it here again :blink:

On 1/20/2016 at 5:15 AM, Heather1011 said:

Dunno if this is relevant to y'all.

Well that is absolutely terrifying. 

11 hours ago, sarkat said:

Well that is absolutely terrifying. 

When I was there in October, I was told that the amazing staff work late one night in early February to get emails out to the accepted students. I'm not sure if the person who has the acceptance is in a special position but I'm not worried yet. When the rest of this forum has heard I will be much more concerned. 

Not a PhD applicant, but I am waiting to hear back about the Master of Arts in Higher Education with a concentration in diversity and social justice. I've already heard back from one program at a different university that shared the same deadline as Michigan, so hopefully I hear back soon!

Applying to the Education and Statistics (Dual Degree) PhD programme. Got zero movement on this end though there's movement on two others, one slightly positive and the other, negative.

Initially thought the acceptance up there has no bearing on SOE PhD applicants but then a simple Google search shows it's an SOE programme. Merda! But based on the programme info, it looks like a slightly different programme from other SOE programmes.

Good luck everyone!