Non-thesis Master but Still MSc, to pursue Phd!!

sadegh_aryaan

Hi, i'm currently studying my Master in Mechanical Engineering and our department offers two type of Master degrees, both are MSc but there are the Thesis or the Non-Thesis options!

if i choose the Non-thesis, i should take 6 credit hours of classes instead of 6 credit hours of research as it is for the Master with Thesis Option.

i want to know how will this affect my opportunities for getting into any phd programs in US?

although i have other ways of proving my research capabilities, like my publications and LORs  from my research advisors.

I enrolled in an MSc program (in Human Development and Family Studies) and it don't require writing an actual thesis. Instead I have to do a research project and try to publish it (but I don't need to submit it as a thesis). I got one offer so far for PhD program so far (So, I think I am fine). I think the most important thing is that you have to be able to show the admission committee that you have experience on doing research and even better publish (which you mentioned that you have that factors). I think generally you'll be fine when you apply for PhD in the US. However, programs are different in terms of their regulations. You need to check to the program that you're interested in regarding their thesis regulation (check their graduate handbook). I remember read a handbook of a program and it state that you have to have an actual thesis before going further to the next step of the program. So, if I didn't write a thesis (or a research project?) although I have a master degree, I need to do a thesis (or research project?) first. But I think that a rare case.

CMIW...     

I don't think it matters but with a Masters with a thesis option can often leads to a publication(s) before you apply for PhD programs.

One of my coworkers has a MA degree (non-thesis) masters and he nailed the interview (he got asked a lot of technical questions related to the current development/advancement in the field of the program he applied, why he wanted to pursuit a PhD degree...etc)