UCLA BBSB

onceinalifetime

Did anyone else apply to the UCLA Biochemistry, biophysics, and structural biology (BBSB) program? I don't really know when their interview dates are, just that there are two different ones. I last heard from the program on Jan 4 that many invites had already gone out, and also heard from a POI that the admissions process was "very far along". Does anyone have more detailed info on this program?

1 hour ago, HopefulPHD14 said:

Also have not heard back but am expecting a rejection

Someone posted on the results that they got an interview invitation from UCLA just two days ago.  Maybe they're doing invites in batches?  Maybe I'm being naive?  Haha

Where else have you applied/interviewed/accepted?  The other school I'm waiting on is USC...haven't heard a peep from them either :(

Hi!

I received an offer to interview from the UCLA BBSB program on Dec 18th by e-mail. There are three interview weekends that were first come, first serve: Jan 22, Feb 5, and Feb 19. I waited a little while to respond to the interview (because I was waiting for other offers), so I got scheduled on the last weekend. I'm an international student (Canadian), but I'm going to fly there and interview in person.

Hope this helps :)

On 1/15/2016 at 3:49 PM, MoBio16 said:

Someone posted on the results that they got an interview invitation from UCLA just two days ago.  Maybe they're doing invites in batches?  Maybe I'm being naive?  Haha

Where else have you applied/interviewed/accepted?  The other school I'm waiting on is USC...haven't heard a peep from them either :(

Those are 2 of the schools I am still waiting on.  I know that USC has an interview this weekend and that they usually send out a few more invites to a second weekend after the first weekend.  I am still hopeful for that since USC and UCLA are probably my top 2 choices..

I am also waiting on UCSD, UCI, and Scripps.

Ultimately I am happy with the interviews I have already, but I hope to hear back from people soon!

2 hours ago, HopefulPHD14 said:

Those are 2 of the schools I am still waiting on.  I know that USC has an interview this weekend and that they usually send out a few more invites to a second weekend after the first weekend.  I am still hopeful for that since USC and UCLA are probably my top 2 choices..

I am also waiting on UCSD, UCI, and Scripps.

Ultimately I am happy with the interviews I have already, but I hope to hear back from people soon!

I just got an email back from the USC program administrator.  She did confirm they definitely send invites in waves and there are more to come.  Fingers crossed!  Keep me updated on if you hear from UCLA or USC - they are my top choices as well :)

And congrats on your interviews!!!  That's awesome!

2 hours ago, kreimer said:

Hi!

I received an offer to interview from the UCLA BBSB program on Dec 18th by e-mail. There are three interview weekends that were first come, first serve: Jan 22, Feb 5, and Feb 19. I waited a little while to respond to the interview (because I was waiting for other offers), so I got scheduled on the last weekend. I'm an international student (Canadian), but I'm going to fly there and interview in person.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks for your input!  That is helpful.  Three weekends, eh?  Well, best of luck to you!  I went to UCLA for undergrad and loved it.  Congrats on your interview :) 

8 minutes ago, MoBio16 said:

I just got an email back from the USC program administrator.  She did confirm they definitely send invites in waves and there are more to come.  Fingers crossed!  Keep me updated on if you hear from UCLA or USC - they are my top choices as well :)

And congrats on your interviews!!!  That's awesome!

I thought so.  One of my best friends is in the PIBBS program.  She didn't hear back from PIBBS her year until like Mid February (Although she said everything seemed to be moved up a few weeks this year).  She said usually they wait until after that first interview weekend to get a feel for the students and then send out additional invites to secondary interview weekends.

• 2 weeks later...
On January 22, 2016 at 4:00 PM, HopefulPHD14 said:

I thought so.  One of my best friends is in the PIBBS program.  She didn't hear back from PIBBS her year until like Mid February (Although she said everything seemed to be moved up a few weeks this year).  She said usually they wait until after that first interview weekend to get a feel for the students and then send out additional invites to secondary interview weekends.

So I think I give up.  It's end of January.  I haven't heard anything from UCLA or USC.  Assume rejection?

• 8 months later...
On January 21, 2016 at 4:00 PM, HopefulPHD14 said:

@HopefulPHD14 - I'm not entirely sure if you are still following this site, but I am applying a second time to schools and remembered this exchange from last year.  I actually had some questions regarding the program you got into as well as your friend in PIBBS.  I am sure you're super busy, but if you have a moment, can you respond to this and let me know if you're still around to answer some questions?  THANK YOU!