Application Deadline Extended

PhD in English

When you get to know that the application deadline has been extended from January 15th to January 25th, do you consider the university does not have enough applied students, and thus, it extends the deadline or is it most probably for another reason?

Please share your thoughts here, 

Many thanks in advance,

Edited by PhD in English

I would say that it depends, and that one possibility is the one that you mentioned.  However, if the program has been around for quite some time, I think that it is actually more likely that there were a large number of unfinished accounts on their servers, and they wanted to give everyone a chance to finish their applications.  I don't really think it implies that there are not enough applicants, but rather they want to get the maximum number of possible applicants (they do get money from the application fee's after all).

It's possible, but wouldn't be my first guess. Not knowing more, I'd guess that there was a technical problem with the website some time close to the deadline and some applicants couldn't submit their applications on time, leading to an extended deadline. Another reason for deadline extensions is if there was severe weather affecting a large part of the country so that even though the application website was functioning, many potential applicants were unable to use their electronic devices to submit the applications on time. 

Thanks AkashSky for your opinion,

I think you have a point in that since the extension took place only two days before the original deadline. I thought of this possibility too, but deep inside of me I only wanted to believe that there were fewer applicants :)