Preparing for the worst

papereverwhere

For the programs that I have applied to, the chance of rejection far outweighs the chance of admission. I have been trying to prepare myself for the worst. Have any of you also been thinking about what you will do in the event that you are not admitted to any of the programs you have applied for? I consider these thoughts realistic rather than pessimistic. Haha. It seems silly to me to hang on to hope - even though deep down I can't help it.

Some random things I will be doing: I am studying Philosophy by coursework at my alma mater over the next year to entertain my interests in aesthetics and metaphysics. I have also signed up for language lessons in German and and Ancient Greek - the German because it seems that all Art History programs require fluency in the language, Ancient Greek for fun. I also like to dance, so I hope to improve in ballet and contemporary dance over the next year. I hope to also practice my French by trying to ready some shorter Deleuze works (probably Desert Islands or Dialogues) in the original language.

As it is my first time applying to graduate school, I am unsure if I will make plans to reapply to US schools in the 2017 admission cycle, or if I will take up a place in a PhD program in my home country. I expect I will make a decision mid-year, hopefully with the advice of some scholars and friends at my home university. Some sort of path towards academia seems most likely, however I am desperate to travel again, so I have entertained the thought of teaching English overseas and become a gypsy. lol. I come from a commercial fine art background professionally, so I might see what job opportunities might crop up over the next year... however I am still more inclined to the idea of scholarship rather than commerce. Public gallery/museum work interests me more - however I feel like an MA at the least seems to be a resume essential to getting a foot in the door. 

There is also the very, very faraway thought that I might go to law school, only because I have a place in the law school at my alma mater, a place I have had since graduating high school. I am a little weary of being the poorest of my friends all the time, not sure how my attitude or life will plan out, so maybe I should just 'sell out'. Haha. There is a competitiveness to law that does appeal to me, but it otherwise seems quite dry. 

All in all, I probably shouldn't kill myself just yet. Haha. 

Anyone else?

Edited by papereverwhere
spelling

Perhaps I have been too optimistic, for I have been planning on quitting my job. It is even more tempting than getting admitted.

I am also self-learning ancient Greek. It gives me a lot to memorize, which turned out to be a very good distraction, from both quitting my job and getting admitted. 

31 minutes ago, Regulus said:

Perhaps I have been too optimistic, for I have been planning on quitting my job. It is even more tempting than getting admitted.

I am also self-learning ancient Greek. It gives me a lot to memorize, which turned out to be a very good distraction, from both quitting my job and getting admitted. 

That's hilarious, because I have started brushing up on ancient Hebrew for this exact reason. Learned it in high school but haven't done anything with it since.

16 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

That's hilarious, because I have started brushing up on ancient Hebrew for this exact reason. Learned it in high school but haven't done anything with it since.

Lol. Do you mean the quitting the job part or the getting admitted part?

Many of the programs I applied to I don't expect to get into (though I still believe I have some small chance obviously ) but a couple programs are M.A. or not so highly ranked (but good fit) programs, so I am optimistic that I will get in somewhere. At that point I have to consider the financial feasibility of my options though. And I have considered the chance that I don't get in anywhere at all. I'm honestly not sure I have it in me to do the application process all over again.... but I could maybe live at home, take some classes locally while working part time and try again. Plan B is to get a "real" job. Would love to work at a museum or perhaps governmental agency. Or I could apply to graduate school here in Japan which I could apply for in May, or for a better job here in Japan but I don't think I really want to do that. So I have options but I'd rather not have to use them haha.

I appreciate your sentiment very much @Pink Fuzzy Bunny; it is definitely not pure chance, and whomever is chosen I am sure will be very qualified and not random at all. Haha. I guess my view on my own application and whether I stand a chance is rooted in an understanding that I don't think that I am particularly exceptional (but who is at the beginning of their career), and that I will be one of 'the many' with decent applications, rather than one of 'the few' with undeniably incredible ones. In which case many things such as disciplinary suitability, likeability of writing style, supervisory availability and whatever else could come into play may play much more heavily than measurable merit - which presents as fine, but not spectacular. 

@fencergirl I feel the same way about re-applying. The application process was such an arduous endeavour - writing several separate personal statements and revising each a billion times was like pulling teeth with rusty pliers and I'm still not sure I have recovered yet. Haha. I'm thinking that if I am able write anything good over the next year, then I will be more likely to re-apply a second time, as the writing sample is a big part of the headache. My writing sample for this particular admissions cycle was good in the sense that it has been graded well - but because I graduated in 2014, I feel that I have grown a lot more than that excerpt reflected. 

papereverwhere, I also graduated in 2014 and feel the same way about my writing sample! I was (and am) proud of it but I do feel there's room for improvement. Also I feel guilty about about even the idea of asking for recc letters all over again (I applied to 9 schools and am currently applying to a fellowship).

I'm still in grad school, but have discovered it wasn't the right path and I will be leaving this spring (kind of knew starting out, but couldn't think of a better option at the time). So, I have a number of "Plan B"s. I have applied to 2 new grad programs in a different field, but I probably have more work to do to show I am qualified for those programs, so I may be applying again. I am working, so I may continue doing that, but there are some things I've put off for a number of years that I wouldn't mind having time to take on now.

I had a long weekend off work and was stuck in the apartment due to miserable weather, so I had plenty of time to think about every possible (usually the worst case) scenario. I applied to two professional degree programs for which I am a long shot, and two MS programs where I feel my credentials are on par with the school but I'm not sure a professor will take me on. I'm more worried about getting accepted to one with no funding and having to decide whether the cost of the program is worth it. 

Anyway, I have a three-tiered wellness strategy for if/when none of my graduate options pan out: 

1) Network my way into a new job. Immediately. 

2) Get a new apartment that allows dogs, because I'm going to need some cuddly adorableness to get me through the pain of rejection...

3) Chocolate. Chocolate for like, three years. 

I think it's a solid plan. 

12 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Let me know if you need any help (I "worked in" Biblical Hebrew in undergrad/first Master's degree). I've been brushing up on my Modern Hebrew (I haven't used it in 3 years), so I can pass my first language competency exam during my first semester and get that hurdle out of the way. 

1 hour ago, nevermind said:

Let me know if you need any help (I "worked in" Biblical Hebrew in undergrad/first Master's degree). I've been brushing up on my Modern Hebrew (I haven't used it in 3 years), so I can pass my first language competency exam during my first semester and get that hurdle out of the way. 

Wow! Nice :D