Ancient Art

Ancient Artisan

Classical Archaeology here, but my interests have a significant visual focus, so I'm between archaeology and art history (I suppose you can't really have one without the other in an interdisciplinary world). My area is primarily Greek art and archaeology. I've applied primarily to Classics programs with a couple Art History thrown in.

oh, exciting!

I am Roman art. My MA is in ancient history but I do not have strong enough of a language background to apply directly into classics, plus i love art! So I applied strictly art history.

Have you heard back from anyone thus far? Silence on my end.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2016 at 0:08 AM, Pius Aeneas said:

Classical Archaeology here, but my interests have a significant visual focus, so I'm between archaeology and art history (I suppose you can't really have one without the other in an interdisciplinary world). My area is primarily Greek art and archaeology. I've applied primarily to Classics programs with a couple Art History thrown in.

Classical Archaeology as well. Good luck in your applications,  looks like we have a little overlap (UVA). 

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello everyone! I just joined, and I'm also so, so anxious about applications. I'm an undergraduate senior double-majoring in Anthropology and Classical Civilization. I'm applying to MA and PhD programs in Classical Archaeology. Some are in Classics, others are purely Archaeology. I'm really surprised that none of my programs so far have been in Art History, but I think I can connect with a lot of you who are material-visual-culture-based. 

So far I've applied/will apply to: Umich-Ann Arbor (IPCAA, PhD), UCLA (Cotsen Institute, PhD), University of Cincinnati (Classics, PhD), Cornell (Classics, PhD; second choice CIAMS MA), UTexas-Austin (Classics, PhD), Brown (Joukowsky, PhD), Florida State (Classics, MA), Colorado-Boulder (Classics, MA), Boston University (Archaeology, MA), and maybe University of Arizona (depends on if I hear back from anyone before the Feb 15th deadline). 

All of the programs are so selective, and there are so many wonderful applicants, so I feel really overwhelmed. I have a double-minor in French and Latin, will have 4 semesters of Greek by the time I graduate, and will have 2 semesters of German. I've done a field school over a summer in Cyprus, and came back to Cyprus this past summer for a study season. Even then I feel so anxious because I don't have any publications and I only have 5 semesters of Latin total (it seems like many people have studied it since they were in the womb and I am jealous!). I know my profs will write me wonderful letters because I've gotten to know them well, but they are realistic with me and don't lie when they say that even very competitive applicants get turned down or waitlisted...

I'm looking forward to keeping up with this thread and seeing how everyone's grad app journeys go!! I'm going to go twiddle my thumbs anxiously a little more.

P.S. my interests are in mainly Roman provincial archaeology and GIS/spatial analysis. I also still have a sweet-spot for Cypriot archaeology because I've grown attached to it over the last two years. 

Hello fellow ancient Art friends! I just joined Grad Cafe since I too have taken the plunge. Applied for a PhD in Egyptology (focusing on the art and archaeology; the discipline tends to split a bit). Hoping to end up in a museum, preferably curating. I could spend the rest of my life in the archives and collections of a museum and die happy. Applied to: U Chicago, Berkeley (0-2 for undergrad and law; not thinking the streak is going to be broken), UCLA, U Michigan, Penn, JHU, NYU IFA, Brown. Super freaking nervous. Fully expecting rejections from everyone, since I am doing this of off a career change (recovering attorney) and feel that without an intermediate degree in the field, I am SOL. But it is worth a shot. Hoping maybe some schools will take pity and let me in to the MA program on the strength of my undergrad background (Art History with focus in ancient Egyptian art, as well as French. Thank god I am fluent in French...) and the fact that I have been trying to shore up my deficiencies on my own (learning German and ancient Egyptian) and have been volunteering in the archives of an ancient Near Eastern/Egyptian-focused museum for over a year now (3x/week in the early hours before work. Because I am a crazy person). Alas, I am not holding my breath.

So...just how screwed am I? Lol.

Good luck to everyone. Try to stay zen, though I am fully aware this is near impossible.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/4/2017 at 2:08 PM, Spiro Spero said:

I'm Roman art/archaeology as well, artbrute - where are you applying?

Berkeley, Cornell, Chicago, Columbia, Harvard. 

What do you think about Cornell's and/or Chicago's program?

28 minutes ago, artbrute said:

Berkeley, Cornell, Chicago, Columbia, Harvard. 

What do you think about Cornell's and/or Chicago's program?

More Roman art/archaeology! Did you apply to Classics or Art History at Cornell? I'm waiting to hear back from Cornell's Classics program. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2017 at 10:54 AM, KALChicago said:

Applied for a PhD in Egyptology (focusing on the art and archaeology; the discipline tends to split a bit). Hoping to end up in a museum, preferably curating. I could spend the rest of my life in the archives and collections of a museum and die happy. Applied to: U Chicago, Berkeley (0-2 for undergrad and law; not thinking the streak is going to be broken), UCLA, U Michigan, Penn, JHU, NYU IFA, Brown. Super freaking nervous. Fully expecting rejections from everyone, since I am doing this of off a career change (recovering attorney) and feel that without an intermediate degree in the field, I am SOL. But it is worth a shot. Hoping maybe some schools will take pity and let me in to the MA program on the strength of my undergrad background (Art History with focus in ancient Egyptian art, as well as French. Thank god I am fluent in French...) and the fact that I have been trying to shore up my deficiencies on my own (learning German and ancient Egyptian) and have been volunteering in the archives of an ancient Near Eastern/Egyptian-focused museum for over a year now (3x/week in the early hours before work. Because I am a crazy person). Alas, I am not holding my breath.

You're missing two of the major programs for Egyptian art history, Emory and Memphis. The latter has a funded MA program that serves as a feeder to good PhD programs. If you strike out this year, they're worth a look if you haven't ruled them out before. 

http://arthistory.emory.edu/home/graduate/index.html

http://www.memphis.edu/egypt/