Canadian Planning Master's acceptances 2016

Hi everyone,

Someone asked for more details re: my getting accepted so I figured I'd make a general thread for my fellow prospective Canadian planning students!

As for me, I got a call from Ryerson's grad program director (Prof. Lister) on Jan. 15 notifying me that I was being offered admission with a $4000 fellowship. I'm absolutely thrilled as it was my first choice, and I will likely be accepting once I receive an official letter (she was just phoning to give me a heads up, which was nice).

I really didn't think my application was competitive, as my undergrad history has been pretty spotty (cumulative GPA of 2.36/4.5, but my last two-year GPA was approx. 4.23/4.5). I knew going into it that my overall GPA was the weakest part of my application, so I spent the last year or so making contacts with profs, getting a couple research assistant gigs, won an urban studies paper award (+publication) and an urban geography scholarship (neither of which I ever expected). Anyways, I believe my strong letters of reference, plus the months I spent writing my personal statement were what helped me the most.

Anyways that's my story! Has anyone else heard anything yet?

On 1/21/2016 at 1:25 PM, sjcoutts said:

Hi everyone,

Someone asked for more details re: my getting accepted so I figured I'd make a general thread for my fellow prospective Canadian planning students!

As for me, I got a call from Ryerson's grad program director (Prof. Lister) on Jan. 15 notifying me that I was being offered admission with a $4000 fellowship. I'm absolutely thrilled as it was my first choice, and I will likely be accepting once I receive an official letter (she was just phoning to give me a heads up, which was nice).

I really didn't think my application was competitive, as my undergrad history has been pretty spotty (cumulative GPA of 2.36/4.5, but my last two-year GPA was approx. 4.23/4.5). I knew going into it that my overall GPA was the weakest part of my application, so I spent the last year or so making contacts with profs, getting a couple research assistant gigs, won an urban studies paper award (+publication) and an urban geography scholarship (neither of which I ever expected). Anyways, I believe my strong letters of reference, plus the months I spent writing my personal statement were what helped me the most.

Hi sjcoutts, congratulations on your admission!

I applied to UBC and haven't heard anything back yet. Has anyone else applied to the MCRP at UBC?

Waiting on word from UBC as well. Based on what I've read from forum posts from years prior I'm hoping to receive a response by mid-late February..  

Btw nice to see you're on here as well sjcoutts ! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On January 20, 2016 at 4:25 PM, sjcoutts said:

Hi everyone,

Hey! Congrats on your acceptance! I applied to Ryerson for my masters of planning as well but haven't heard back yet. I'm assuming it is because I submitted my application after the early deadline on February 15. I was wondering when you applied to Ryerson?