Multi-Year Application Process

I hope it's okay to post this here. This is kind of a general post, but I feel like some of my questions are specific to programs in English. So, I'm currently in the middle of applying for a Ph.D. in Literature out of a smaller, unranked state program where I received my Master's this past June. I applied to 11 programs in total, and got rejected from two yesterday. Because I tend to stay motivated if I work through worst case scenarios, I'm expecting to get rejected from the other 9. I understand completely that the Ph.D. application process can be a crapshoot, and that there are several variables that will impact my apps that I won't be able to expect/control. If I don't get into a program this year, I certainly want to reapply again for Fall 2017, but I have no idea how to change up my self-direction. Has anyone else had to apply a few times before they started a program? If so, do you have any advice? Do I rule out reapplying to any program that rejected me? I'd appreciate any perspective. 

I am a bit in the dark myself, and while the thought of applying again makes me cringe I think I may need to. I read an article saying that one of the best things to do if you get rejected is to contact the schools (after the application madness dies down) and ask how you could strengthen your application. 

As for whether or not you should apply to the schools that rejected you, if they are still a good fit for your research interests I absolutely would. 

On the bright (?) side, every rejection makes me a little more numb for the next, and there is the added bonus of concocting some excellent cocktails. 

Good luck! 

As someone who has been there (yes, twice!), let me point out that it is January! There is still SO MUCH TIME. I know it's so hard to wait (really, I do), but unfortunately, that's all you can do right now. It's so far from being over. 

But to answer your question: yes, many people have successfully applied multiple years. I did (once with only a BA and the second time with an MA), and so have several others. I feel like we have some threads devoted to re-applying in the forum, where people have talked about what they did the second time around and to great success. It's not over 'til it's over. 

Listen to ProfLorax. Don't freak out in January. Don't even freak out in March if everything comes back negative. I will be applying to Ph.D. programs in the fall, after applying to -- wait for it -- 17 programs in last year's cycle. Fortunately I'm now working on a Master's with full funding, and it has given me the opportunity to see a slew of mistakes I made when going through the process the first time around. That isn't to say that my applications were bad -- it's just that even with all of the wonderful advice here on GC, the mistakes were all too subtle (individually) to have been mentioned in threads. But being shut out (for the most part) stings for a good long while (a year later and it still stings me), then forces you to think about how to improve for the next time. While I'm not looking forward to next year's application cycle, I'm already actively thinking about it -- particularly what I can do to make my applications better (obviously). These are things that you will only realize once you talk to some professors who have sat on admissions committees, or get into a lesser program and get a feel for what works and what doesn't in academia. I begrudgingly admit that getting a Master's first has been a good step for me. As I've said many times here over the past half-dozen months or so, I have no doubt that I could have thrived in a Ph.D. program...but that doesn't mean that going through the M.A. doesn't make me a better candidate, and frankly a better academic.

This post feels like it's been all about me, but I'm hoping that my experience is a bit helpful regardless. Incidentally, I met with my M.A. mentor on Tuesday, and she confirmed something I had quietly suspected. If you read The Chronicle, and various other trade magazines about higher education (specifically English), you'll get the sense that programs are embracing transhistorical, interdisciplinary, transatlantic approaches. When I wrote my SOP a year and a half ago, I thought I was being a bit "leading edge" and "unique" by proposing a transhistorical, transatlantic course of study. My mentor, who sits on the adcomm for my program, said that this trans / inter etc. focus is the ideal that is espoused by many academics, but from a functional standpoint, it's still the norm to sort candidates into easy-to-categorize piles. It's so much more convenient for them to say "Oh hey, Wyatt's Terps is an early modernist" than for them to say "Oh hey, Wyatt's Terps has a grounding in early modernism, but wants to look at things on both side of the Atlantic, and cross a bunch of literary eras to make his case..." In the latter instance (which exemplifies what I wrote in my SOPs), it makes it difficult for adcomms to group me with other applicants. In other words, it seems that there is a lot of relativism in adcomm decisions, and if there are few candidates to compare one's SOP focus to, it has more of a chance of hitting the slush pile than the standout pile. The gist is that for the sake of applications, it seems that sticking to a categorical era is quite important.

Anyhow, I've rambled on a lot longer than I expected, but hopefully there are a few helpful nuggets in there somewhere. :)

Edited by Wyatt's Terps
typo

First of all, to echo what others have said, it's a bit early to hit the panic button.  I got into the program I'm in now off of the waitlist on April 11.

I was rejected my first time around.  It was demoralizing, but after a few weeks I dusted myself off and tried to figure out what I ought to do differently.

There are certain more or less immutable aspects of your application, GPA, the school listed on your transcript, etc.  Look at what you can change, and seek help.  I had some recommenders who offered to take another look at my materials and offered feedback.  Based on their notes I made substantial changes to my personal statements.  Most of my changes were to my personal statement, but I think the biggest change was actually my school selection.  I had applied to a number of "name brand" schools and high profile interdisciplinary programs with very low acceptance rates without a lot of regard for fit.  I did much more thorough research, cast a wider net, and ended up with acceptances and waitlists at schools that were an ideal fit for my interests.  While the names of the schools probably wouldn't put my aunts and uncles in a state of awe, they have placement rates as good as any.  

Which is to say, if you get rejected by all comers, take an honest look at where you applied, were you really rationalizing in terms of "fit" in order to justify applying to some school with an impressive name?  I don't say this because I assume you are, I'm saying it because it was probably the biggest problem facing my application.  Once you're actually in the field in a more permanent sort of way, you realize that there really is more to life than the Ivies and their worthy equivalents.

For reference, I was applying out of undergrad as a non-traditional student from a Big Ten school with a 4.0 GPA and very good GRE scores, in case this sounds like a "you should just settle" type message.  As a masters student, naturally, your mileage may vary.

Edited by jrockford27

I wanted to say thank you so much to everyone who responded to my initial post. I know it's technically too early to worry about re-applying next year, but it helps me so much to have a game plan. Since I'm open to the possibility of reapplying next year, I'm currently finishing a paper that could serve as a new writing sample that's a bit more streamlined to my current research interests. I'm trying to stay somewhat active in academia in the interim between my MA and PhD with conferencing/publishing opportunities. In short, I'm trying my best to channel all of this uncertainty into productivity. 

My two primary mentors have both told me that while I'm a strong candidate for a PhD program, the reality is that this might become a multi-year process. While I trust their judgement, I don't have any friends who have applied more than once, so the thought of reapplying feels so daunting/impossible. Having access to your perspectives is really wonderful. So thank you so much for your stories and encouragement! @bee120 @ProfLorax @Wyatt's Terps @jrockford27

20 hours ago, bee120 said:

I read an article saying that one of the best things to do if you get rejected is to contact the schools (after the application madness dies down) and ask how you could strengthen your application. 

This is all really good info to know! If you could point me to the direction of that article, it would be much appreciated. 

10 hours ago, jrockford27 said:

Which is to say, if you get rejected by all comers, take an honest look at where you applied, were you really rationalizing in terms of "fit" in order to justify applying to some school with an impressive name?  I don't say this because I assume you are, I'm saying it because it was probably the biggest problem facing my application.  Once you're actually in the field in a more permanent sort of way, you realize that there really is more to life than the Ivies and their worthy equivalents.

I tried to be really strategic with my selection of programs, but I know there was room for improvement. I chose English programs that "ranked" in a range from 20-100. There were a couple of programs I was drawn to based on location only to retroactively realize I was a terrible fit. For instance, I applied to a program that only admits comp lit students who work with multiple languages when I only aim to work with contemporary American texts. (I want to specialize in gender/sexuality/queer studies as well). I wish I could take that application back, honestly, haha. Personally, I'm not aiming for an Ivy League; I want to find my way into a program where I'm a really good fit. 

18 hours ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

In the latter instance (which exemplifies what I wrote in my SOPs), it makes it difficult for adcomms to group me with other applicants. In other words, it seems that there is a lot of relativism in adcomm decisions, and if there are few candidates to compare one's SOP focus to, it has more of a chance of hitting the slush pile than the standout pile. The gist is that for the sake of applications, it seems that sticking to a categorical era is quite important.

This is so good to know. It might be different, but I emphasize interdisciplinary studies in my own research, and wasn't sure how to work that avenue into my statement of purpose. I threw it out in a line or two, and it almost felt disingenuous to not devote more time to it. But it makes so much sense that your SOP should be "categorical." Since I felt like my SOP oscillated between my two current research interests, this is something I can re-strategize for next year. And also good luck to you with the next round! I'm sure you will do great. :)

Again, thank you to everyone who responded. I'm new to the forums, and I'm so grateful for your support/words! 

Edited by Little Earthquakes

I did a multi-year application thing. The first time through I was basically clueless and got shut out. The second-go-around I had the support of some amazing faculty, a clear research vision, and a much better application "strategy" over all. Even though I was a MUCH better qualified applicant on the second pass, I got served a hefty portion of rejections, especially early on. I thought I saw the writing on the wall in January but in the coming weeks I received strong offers from programs I didn't think I had a shot at.

Even though its tempting to consider all the ways you could beef up your app for next year, the fact remains that you have your hat in the ring right now. Like you, I sent out apps during the last year of an MA program. It was incredibly difficult to focus on the press of here-and-now work as it seemed my future was hanging in the balance. In retrospect, I wish I hadn't been so gloomy and anxious in those brutal months of waiting. To me, it sounds like you applied to a nice range of schools, have a clear focus, and the support of some excellent faculty. There's much cause for hope and little reason for despair!

This is all to say: rather than considering ways to improve next year's apps, think about the happy dance you will do when you get the phone call.

I must say that I am also receiving the benefits of everyone's advice and experiences in this thread as a third-time applicant this season -- thank you all for your perspectives!

On 1/22/2016 at 0:55 PM, jrockford27 said:

Once you're actually in the field in a more permanent sort of way, you realize that there really is more to life than the Ivies and their worthy equivalents.

This is especially refreshing to hear.  Realistically and objectively thinking about my application, I decided to focus on schools ranked in the 40-60ish range, with of course some falling on either side.  Given past rejections, I think this is where I fit, and my discussions with my (very pragmatic) recommender/mentor encouraged me that there are a lot of very good programs that will be able to help me be successful beyond the top 20, contrary to a lot of "noise" I was hearing about only going to a top 20 school.  I feel comfortable with the schools I decided to target, but sometimes (not often) do feel a bit insecure about how other friends/colleagues will think of them, so thank you for your thoughts on this issue, jrockford27. 

Thanks for starting the thread, Little Earthquakes.  I applied to a small number of programs (4-5) the past two years because I was bound by location; in this third and final round, I've applied to many more.  If I end up having any success, I'm happy to share my experiences on the multi-year process as well.  Best of luck to you, and I can completely empathize with the struggle of waiting to hear back.  In the second year I applied, I started researching programs to apply to this year before even getting rejected from most :P