Not Invited to any Interview, Rejected by 3/7

Gina2016

Question

Do you think I have any hope at all? Or should I sign a one year contract at work?

I am a Biochemistry and Molecular Biology international undergraduate with a GPA of 3.99, 5 research internships one in Harvard and one in UofMichigan,1 poster and 1 unpublished publication yet. My GRE isn't brilliant, V 150, Q 157, AW 3.5. I got brilliant LofRs.

I applied to Neurosciences PhD in 7 universities. I got rejected from 3 so far, Stanford, Rockefeller and MIT Biology. I am still waiting for MIT Brain and Cognitive Sciences, Harvard BIG, UCSD Neurology and Columbia Neurology and Behavior.

I did not apply to fall-back schools because I don't want to end up in a poorly funded program somewhere I don't want to live in in the US.

My personal belief is that I actually got rejected from all schools since that I didn't get an invitation for an interview. But I wonder if there is any hope at all in this situation. Been very depressed recently but I could get three job offers instead. But it is not where my heart is... lol

2 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Gina2016 said:

My personal belief is that I actually got rejected from all schools since that I didn't get an invitation for an interview. But I wonder if there is any hope at all in this situation. Been very depressed recently but I could get three job offers instead. But it is not where my heart is... lol

Until you get all rejections back, there is still hope. Honestly, I would seriously consider your job offers. Sometimes, as an adult, you have to work in fields where your "heart" isn't--just to pay the bills while working toward your goals. I would wait a couple of weeks (after April 15th) and ask the programs where you were rejected how to improve your application. I suspect that you probably applied to too many prestigious programs and not enough "realistic" ones, especially with low(ish) GRE scores.

In terms of "somewhere you don't want to live in the U.S."...that's really going to narrow your choices.

You've picked: Cambridge (MA), New York (NY), San Diego (CA), and Palo Alto (CA). There are plenty of prestigious programs in equally nice parts of the country (the U.S. is a big place), and certainly climate isn't an issue because Cambridge and San Diego are pretty different. Be open minded about where your research fits and try again. Many people apply to programs more than once and are more successful on their second rounds, if they are open to constructive criticism and feedback. 

On 2016/1/22 at 2:30 PM, Gina2016 said:

Do you think I have any hope at all? Or should I sign a one year contract at work?

I am a Biochemistry and Molecular Biology international undergraduate with a GPA of 3.99, 5 research internships one in Harvard and one in UofMichigan,1 poster and 1 unpublished publication yet. My GRE isn't brilliant, V 150, Q 157, AW 3.5. I got brilliant LofRs.

I applied to Neurosciences PhD in 7 universities. I got rejected from 3 so far, Stanford, Rockefeller and MIT Biology. I am still waiting for MIT Brain and Cognitive Sciences, Harvard BIG, UCSD Neurology and Columbia Neurology and Behavior.

I did not apply to fall-back schools because I don't want to end up in a poorly funded program somewhere I don't want to live in in the US.

There is a problem because you don't pick a place where you live----because you're only going to live there for 4-5 years and rarely do people find job position in the place where they do phd.

I have no interviews too but I did visit 2 schools during application. Let's not give up hope op.