Advice Requested

scary

I'm junior undergraduate at top 15 undergraduate US university double majoring (two BAs) in Computer Science (top 30 dept) and Economics.

Right now, I have a undergraduate GPA of about 3.2 and figure I can get it to maybe a 3.4 by the time I graduate. I had a pretty much mediocre freshman year GPA (~3.0), but my sophomore year GPA is considerably much better (3.4). My Econ GPA is about a 3.3 and it probably won't go much higher since I only have 2 classes left in my major. I can probably get my CS GPA to go from a 3.4 to maybe a 3.6 since I have about 5 classes left in my major. I haven't taken many math classes (calc 3: b-, stats: b+, will take discrete math and maybe linear algebra).

With all this in mind...I'm interested in getting a phd or masters in computer science, economics, or business...somewhere they all meet. (think: operations research, game theory, artificial intelligence). My ultimate goal is to get into a top 20-30 program, but I know with my track record it's probably not too realistic. However, I think I may have a shot at a top computer science masters program and maybe do research there. I should be able to ace GREs (close to 800 math...600s verbal) since I'm a good test taker and have always done well in math.

What do you think of my situation? Do I have a realistic shot at MS programs such as Stanford, UMich, etc.?

What do you mean by realistic? To be honest, you probably do not have a realistic shot at Stanford because it is a #1 school, especially in AI, but dont limit yourself to the top 10 schools.

Something that can significantly enhance your application is research experience (and the letters of recommendation that come from them). A strong research experience and letter can more than make up for any low gpa's (since most people will be applying with >= 3.75 gpa's). I would recommend that you try starting some work during the school year and definitely apply to NSF REU programs this summer. The list of sites is here http://www.nsf.gov/crssprgm/reu/list_result.cfm?unitid=5049.

To be honest, I dont think that there is a good chance without research experience at any top 10 school. But only considering top 10 schools only is a very limited point of view. I think that you stand a good chance at getting into a solid PhD program if you take advantage of research opportunities (that means doing well in them, getting a good letter of rec, and hopefully a publication).