advanced math course vs senior stat course for stat MS

CSong

Hi I am planning to apply for a number of Statistics MS program at the end of this year. Now i am considering what courses to take in these upcoming Spring and Fall semesters and i need some advice on it.

Undergrad: One of Top 5 Univ. in QS Asia University ranking.
GPA: 3.7/4.00
Major: Applied. Econ.
Related courses i took : Econ Math(A), Applied Econ Methodology(deals with regression and some other related tests) (A), Advanced Psych Stat(Grad)(A), Calculus1(B), Econ Stat(A), Intro to programming(A), Linear Algebra(B), Intro to Analysis(A), Math stat1(B), Econometrics(A), Math Stat2(A)

RA/TA experience:  RA for a year in the Marketing research lab of my Univ.

the first author on two working papers in one of the well known marketing conference.

I am thinking of two options as to what courses to take for this year

1.focused on senior stat courses such as regression, Nonparametric, computational stat., time series, econometrics(Grad), Stochastic process, Datamining, Multivariate

2.some courses in the first option replaced with advanced math course: nonparametric(<-Real analysis), Datamining(<-Numerical analysis)

Which options do seem better? I wonder whether the committee closely looks at the advanced math course or the more bunch of stat course.

and what universities would be applicable if i assume to receive fancy grades for the courses i have mentioned above?

Thank you :)

First of all I think you have a very strong application and already a lot more experience in statistical courses than most applicants!

Now, it is hard to say without knowing what the syllabus for these courses is and at what universities you want to apply to. I definitely think you should replace data mining by numerical analysis. Knowing your matrix factorizations and basics about numeric stability is really important for implementing most statistical methods and demonstrates your aptitude for taking M.Sc. courses to a higher degree than data mining, which can often be very dumbed down (again depending on the department teaching it).

You also already have more than enough statistics courses in your transcripts, so that actually I would also choose Real Analysis over nonparametrics. At least for the PhD programs, it is really important to have a solid background in Real Analysis. (You also have an Intro to Analysis, but still taking even more real analysis will strengthen your application. You should know the material in Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis.)

On another note, do you mean "multivariate calculus" when you write "multivariate"? You really need to have that! In fact, I'd try to take something as multivariate real analysis or advanced linear algebra or basic functional analysis too, if it is offered and drop another stats course. While reading through your course list, the main weakness of it seems to be that you might have only worked in 1-dimension so far (except your linear algebra course), while for a stats M.Sc. you should be comfortable working in higher dimensions. Departments probably also expect that you have taken a Calculus 1-3 sequence, so you need to demonstrate your knowledge of these subjects too (right now you only have Calculus 1 if I see it correctly).

Edited by localfdr

9 hours ago, localfdr said:

First of all I think you have a very strong application and already a lot more experience in statistical courses than most applicants!

Now, it is hard to say without knowing what the syllabus for these courses is and at what universities you want to apply to. I definitely think you should replace data mining by numerical analysis. Knowing your matrix factorizations and basics about numeric stability is really important for implementing most statistical methods and demonstrates your aptitude for taking M.Sc. courses to a higher degree than data mining, which can often be very dumbed down (again depending on the department teaching it).

You also already have more than enough statistics courses in your transcripts, so that actually I would also choose Real Analysis over nonparametrics. At least for the PhD programs, it is really important to have a solid background in Real Analysis. (You also have an Intro to Analysis, but still taking even more real analysis will strengthen your application. You should know the material in Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis.)

On another note, do you mean "multivariate calculus" when you write "multivariate"? You really need to have that! In fact, I'd try to take something as multivariate real analysis or advanced linear algebra or basic functional analysis too, if it is offered and drop another stats course. While reading through your course list, the main weakness of it seems to be that you might have only worked in 1-dimension so far (except your linear algebra course), while for a stats M.Sc. you should be comfortable working in higher dimensions. Departments probably also expect that you have taken a Calculus 1-3 sequence, so you need to demonstrate your knowledge of these subjects too (right now you only have Calculus 1 if I see it correctly).

Thanks for the reply :)

I am considering the MS program as the stepping stone for the Ph.D programs in the field of social science which heavily requires stat and econ knowledge. So i am thinking of the Stat program provided from the good universities in those fields such as Chicago, Duke, Michigan, Cornell and so on. I don't know whether I will be a strong applicant for those schools.

Anyway, your advice gave me a chance to change a plan for this year to some extent. If i understand correctly, your point may be summarized as taking related math courses such as the next sequential calculus, some of analysis courses and numerical analysis other than more stat courses. And i am really in favor of this idea :)

To clarify the 'multivariate', I meant the multivariate stat analysis. I heard from my buddy that taking this course allow me to be familiarized with high-dimensional stat-related calculation. and..... to be honest, i hesitate to take the next calculus course. my university provides one-year calculus courses(Cal 1 and 2) covering the content of cal 1-3 and the students taking these courses have already mastered it even before entering the university. this is because of the special condition of high school curricula in my home country. and it made me to get a B on Cal1 :'(.  Instead, I guess other courses (such as math stat 1,2, Cal1 and Linear Algebra) gave me a super hard training of calculating the multivariate functions and matrix calculation.

If you don't mind, I have another question. If i don't take the next Calculus course which is mostly required by the MS stat programs, can i defend myself by saying on SOP that the related topics were fully covered from other courses?

Thank you for your reply on my first article on gradcafe :)

My feeling is that, with the exception of the Calculus issue, you should be competitive for these Master programs and that you should get into one if you apply broadly. But maybe someone else who has a better overview than I have can provide a better assessment. 

Now regarding your second question, this would actually worry me. As I said in my original post, not having multivariate calculus could be a major red flag to admission committees and I don't think you could alleviate this by trying to say you have this background in the SOP. To put it bluntly, based on what you wrote in your paragraph you actually *don't* have the necessary multivariate calculus background (since on the one hand you say that you know these things already by your stats courses, but simultaneously you believe you would not do well in that calculus course). So there's actually a second reason beyond satisfying the admissions committee for taking this Calculus class: It might actually be the case that even if you get accepted at say Chicago, that you will not be able to finish the courses there, because of your lack of multivariate Calculus knowledge! There is a reason the departments list this as a prerequisite!

So my personal suggestion would be: Even if the calculus sequence at your department is harder than usual (which is actually good!), you should definitely take it. I see you have a very full course load, could it be possible to take less credits or do you actually need so many? Also if you think it will be too much with Calculus, you might consider replacing some of the classes you suggested for easier ones. But don't skip Calculus.

Edited by localfdr

12 hours ago, localfdr said:

My feeling is that, with the exception of the Calculus issue, you should be competitive for these Master programs and that you should get into one if you apply broadly. But maybe someone else who has a better overview than I have can provide a better assessment. 

Now regarding your second question, this would actually worry me. As I said in my original post, not having multivariate calculus could be a major red flag to admission committees and I don't think you could alleviate this by trying to say you have this background in the SOP. To put it bluntly, based on what you wrote in your paragraph you actually *don't* have the necessary multivariate calculus background (since on the one hand you say that you know these things already by your stats courses, but simultaneously you believe you would not do well in that calculus course). So there's actually a second reason beyond satisfying the admissions committee for taking this Calculus class: It might actually be the case that even if you get accepted at say Chicago, that you will not be able to finish the courses there, because of your lack of multivariate Calculus knowledge! There is a reason the departments list this as a prerequisite!

So my personal suggestion would be: Even if the calculus sequence at your department is harder than usual (which is actually good!), you should definitely take it. I see you have a very full course load, could it be possible to take less credits or do you actually need so many? Also if you think it will be too much with Calculus, you might consider replacing some of the classes you suggested for easier ones. But don't skip Calculus.

Oh....my.....so you think that Calculus should be taken anyway. I also agree with you. Multivariate Calculus courses may outweigh the additional stat courses since it is listed as a prereq. it means a series of Calculus are somewhat mandatory whereas extra stat courses are optional.