MIT 2016

flipflops

@flipflops I have received acceptance notification from MIT EECS on Feb 5th.

Still, nothing about funding - I will let you know as soon as they do notify something.

I have received my personal url for the visit day. Have you received any information about (1) deadline to communicate our arrival time for the Visit days and (2) approx length of the 1 on 1 meetings (so to schedule a reasonable number of these)? 

Last, I haven't understood if it's enough to specify on the form your decision to attend the visit days or if you need to write an email in any case -- even if you are fine with their standard hotel policy for those days.

I don't know deadline for the admitted students portal either. I assume late Feb. 

Form for Intent to attend is in the admission mail (via USPS), and once you receive it, there should be URL that you can indicate yes/no.

one-to-one meeting time depends on how much students showed their interest on specific professor. It is very possible that some professors are not available or booked completely. I roughly estimate around 15-30 mins. 

I also have not heard about funding, but current students told me most of funding is decided once you find your research advisor. (around 70% RA, 20% TA, and rest of them on fellowships). 

14 minutes ago, blackswan13 said:

are we supposed to find a research advisor upon arrival? If you want I can send you the funding information they sent me via pvt message but it did not seem like we need to find advisor or TA first semester

Yeah, if you can, that works (since I still need to wait 3-4 days for mail to arrive. I know that it is not requited for first semester, but I prefer to find one before arrival.

23 hours ago, blackswan13 said:

are we supposed to find a research advisor upon arrival? If you want I can send you the funding information they sent me via pvt message but it did not seem like we need to find advisor or TA first semester

I got the letter today via USPS, so you don't have to send me pvt message. It does says MIT funds all of its students 100%, and funding is either RA/fellowship for incoming students. 

12 minutes ago, (Y) said:

I haven't got my USPS mail yet. But does anyone know how much the funding is per month?

For BS (without master), $2626/month, and For people with master degree, $2626+$250, and for fellowship recipients, the amount may be the same or increase up to $300 more. Tuition/insurance are covered fully.

Edited by flipflops

10 minutes ago, (Y) said:

Wow. Thanks! That is very little compared to other private schools... Is this negotiable?

The stipend is set by the university, and department (EECS) should follow the instruction. As the residence hall is about $1400/month for studio room, and as the stipend increases 3.5% annually, the stipend is enough to live and sustain life (even though you might not be able to save or pay auto loan, etc). Compared to other schools with similar cost of living, MIT stipend is reasonable. I know Columbia pays about $2800-$3000/month (while New York City is more expensive than Cambridge). You can see more information here (and previous years' stipends):

http://osp.mit.edu/rates/graduate-research-assistant-tuition-subsidy-rates

Edited by flipflops

For anyone who are admitted to MIT ME, did u guys get any information other than the invitation to the open house?

I only received an email saying I'm admitted and some information about the open house. (no personal url, no USPS)

I'm feeling a bit insecure and uninformed.

16 hours ago, wazza said:

For anyone who are admitted to MIT ME, did u guys get any information other than the invitation to the open house?

I only received an email saying I'm admitted and some information about the open house. (no personal url, no USPS)

I'm feeling a bit insecure and uninformed.

I got the USPS mail. If you live abroad (not in US), you may get that official letter a little bit late. That mail package has more details on funding, etc. And, I am not sure about package for ME.

Edited by flipflops

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, congratulations in all your acceptances. I was admitted to MIT AeroAstro but haven't heard from funding. Anyone knows if at AA also 100% of their students are funded?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...