I don't know what kind of visit this is

pterosaur

I had an informal Skype interview with a professor at a school I applied to, and he said he wanted to schedule a time for me to come visit when I'm the country (less than a month from now). The dates would be after they have historically announced decisions, but there's no word on decisions yet. So how do I interpret this? Is it an interview or a recruitment visit? I have no idea what to make of it.

That's confusing. I would recommend just asking. If it's a visit you plan on doing regardless, or at least you want to give the impression that you're very interested in their program, just ask them what you should expect, and if they can clarify so that you can prepare accordingly. If you end up getting rejected, you can always cancel later. 

If you haven't been notified of your acceptance, then you are not accepted. I wouldn't ask at this point either. Just treat this as a pre-admission interview until you find out otherwise. I agree with Eigen that in my field, the visits are not that different from each other.

Also, if the visit dates are just a little bit after the "traditional decision date", they might wait until your visit before making a decision on your application. So, don't feel discouraged/dejected if you see other people's results before your visit but you still have not heard anything yet!