Degree choice

fred987

When I decided to pursue a masters BEFORE my JD I initially intended to get an MA in IR or an MPP. My concentration would have undoubtedly been human rights, my field of interest. And I would have eventually gone on to law school with aspirations of becoming a human rights lawyer for the state or an NGO.

However, I ran across the MA in Human Rights. So far I've only ran across three that I would consider applying to but all have excellent curriculums. My top choice is Columbia's LSMA in Human Rights. I decided ultimately that I would rather study human rights for two years than as a concentration. However, the resources and connections made at IR and MPP schools are unrivaled.

Was it a wise decision to steer away from the MA IR and MPP considering my specific interest, or should I rethink applying to at least one or two of these programs?

My suggestion is to not rule out all other options. A great fit for you might be Fletcher's concentrations in human security, humanitarian studies, conflict resolution and development economics. You can get the full listing of concentrations here.

The Fletcher experience would be a good fit for you, I think, for two particular reasons: first, the curriculum is very flexible, allowing you to choose those classes that interest you most; and second, many Fletcher grads go into human rights work at both the field and policy levels -- which means the network of Fletcherites in your areas of interest would be strong. Not to say other schools couldn't offer the same thing, but it is something to keep in mind.

Consider other schools as well that offer some flavor of MPP or MIR, and research their course offerings carefully to make the most balanced decision.

Good luck!