Help me understand my funding offer?

Sbrail2

"You can expect to receive funding worth at least $10,560 for the regular academic year (distributed over the fall 2016 and spring 2017 semesters). You will be required to work 20 hours per week and maintain full-time enrollment (9 credit hours per semester). Continuation of your appointment for spring 2017 is contingent upon satisfactory performance during the fall 2016 semester. This offer is depending upon the formal allocation of appropriate funds to the department in the university budgeting process, but at this time we do not anticipate a problem in this regard. I will advise you immediately in the unlikely event of budgetary problems that affect this offer.

Students who are admitted into the doctoral program with funding generally continue to receive aid for five years, contingent upon the availability of funds and satisfactory progress in the program. Assuming the availability of funds and satisfactory progress, your assistantship will increase to at least $13,950 in your second year and $16,042 in your fourth year. Students in the program also have additional opportunities for funding during the summer and to travel to conferences."

Basically I'm just kind of unsure of what exactly I was offered. Is that $10,560 a stipend? It says I'm required to work 20 hours but it didn't say I was offering a TAship or anything, so really I'm just a bit confused.

"You can expect to receive funding worth at least $10,560 for the regular academic year (distributed over the fall 2016 and spring 2017 semesters). You will be required to work 20 hours per week and maintain full-time enrollment (9 credit hours per semester). Continuation of your appointment for spring 2017 is contingent upon satisfactory performance during the fall 2016 semester. This offer is depending upon the formal allocation of appropriate funds to the department in the university budgeting process, but at this time we do not anticipate a problem in this regard. I will advise you immediately in the unlikely event of budgetary problems that affect this offer.

Students who are admitted into the doctoral program with funding generally continue to receive aid for five years, contingent upon the availability of funds and satisfactory progress in the program. Assuming the availability of funds and satisfactory progress, your assistantship will increase to at least $13,950 in your second year and $16,042 in your fourth year. Students in the program also have additional opportunities for funding during the summer and to travel to conferences."

Basically I'm just kind of unsure of what exactly I was offered. Is that $10,560 a stipend? It says I'm required to work 20 hours but it didn't say I was offering a TAship or anything, so really I'm just a bit confused.

Just now, wb3060 said:

Yes, it does sound like a 10k stipend. It is odd though they did not mention a tuition waiver so definitely follow up on this. I would assume the 20 hours (which is rather a lot, although not unheard of) is for RA/TA work. 

It felt rather devoid of info to me. I definitely tried to call but of course everyone is on lunch.

1 hour ago, Sbrail2 said:

From what I understand, you will get $10,560 stipend in your first year. The stipend will increase to $13,950 in your second year etc...

I think it is some kind of TAship.

Just now, iloveOM said:

From what I understand, you will get $10,560 stipend in your first year. The stipend will increase to $13,950 in your second year etc...

I think it is some kind of TAship.

They just told me it doesn't include a tuition waiver so that's a pretty bad offer

13 minutes ago, Sbrail2 said:

They just told me it doesn't include a tuition waiver so that's a pretty bad offer

If that is the case, it is really bad.. Does they allow you in-state tuition? If yes, I guest you may have to pay around 3-4k more in your first year ( total of tuition and accommodation in Texas).

Edited by iloveOM

3 minutes ago, iloveOM said:

If that is the case, it is really bad.. Does they allow you in-state tuition? If yes, I guest you may have to pay around 3-4k more in your first year ( total of tuition and accommodation in Texas).

I applied for a scholarship that gives $1,000 and counts me as a resident but I don't know if I've gotten it yet. Even if I did, I don't think I'll accept the offer, it's really poor.

The offer is unusual in that it starts remarkably low and then increases sharply (up 30% each year for two years). That said, there are points to clarify: (a) Is tuition remitted?  and (b)what sort of summer funding is typical, not just possible? and (c) (For your personal research) What is the cost of living near the university?

The 20 hrs/week is typical, I wouldn't sweat that. It's an assistantship (either TA or RA, of which you'll do both), which nearly always takes less than 20 hours per week.

If the offer is from UNT, feel free to PM me. I spent some time there.