Help - Change in employment

KLG

I'm going to be leaving my job (voluntarily, my company is relocating my department to another city, and I am choosing not to move) in 2 weeks. If I can get my application to grad school competed and submitted in the next 2 weeks then I'm planning on not mentioning this on my application. Then in 3-4 weeks, I am thinking of writing the admissions committee a well-thought out letter explaining my change in employment, and that I am looking for a new job in the city where the school is (Washington DC) in the next several months, and will ideally continue this job part time if accepted and enrolled in their graduate program.

Is this a good strategy? Should I even tell the school? Is there a good chance they will call my current (soon to be old) employer and inquire about employment status? Any advice greatly appreciated!!

I don't think it's even worth mentioning. Grad schools care about your work experience to a limited extent, but whether you're currently employed shouldn't matter at all. They aren't going to call your old employers- they have far more important things to do (like review hundreds of applications).

Don't mention your job at all. It doesn't sound like you have a research related job, so it's not like you'd be fooling the committee into thinking you'll have about a year's worth of experience more than you'll actually have. If it's just an industry job, the committee isn't going to care what it is or when you leave it.

I've been out of work since May (well, currently full-time in grad school--though it is evening classes--starting in August), and I asked my prof if I should mention this at all. Additionally, I had to take last semester off in the spring (while I was a part-time student/full-time working) due to an illness. She said NO WAY, don't mention either of these things. I agree with the above posters that the adcomms are unlikely to care about this. I almost feel like by talking about it, it's bringing attention unnecessarily to something that isn't relevant at all to the application.