Withdrawing from a nonessential class

Andrea M.

Question

Wondering if anyone can offer me any insight on this. I'm planning on graduate school this fall and I'm currently considering withdrawing from a class that I'm taking as an undergrad. The class is not required for me to graduate, it's one that I decided to take because I thought it would be of benefit to me, but for a variety of reasons (including the effect it's having on my undergrad thesis) would like to drop now.  All of my transcripts and applications have already been sent in, so it's not as if the schools will see a withdrawal now as they make their decisions - but once I send my final transcripts in they most certainly will, and I was curious to know whether this can change anything. Is it possible for them to take back any offers of aid or whatnot after giving me the offer if they see a withdrawal on my final transcript? I'm so close, that at this point I'm paranoid about anything that could possibly go wrong. I thought about contacting the schools, but they're currently considering me for admission - the last thing I want to do is go "hey, so I want to drop this class, but will that mess things up for me if you decide you want to give me a scholarship?"
Any help or insight would be really appreciated. 
Edited by Andrea M.

1 answer to this question

I wouldn't be too worried about it.  It's one thing to do poorly in an important class or tank your GPA in the last semester, but (depending on the program/number of withdrawals, etc. of course) generally, I don't think a withdrawal in an unrelated class would hurt an otherwise strong application.  On top of that, after already being accepted to a program, I would think one withdrawal would be even less significant.  I would, however, feel uneasy about asking the schools how it would affect things, but of course, that's the only way to know for sure.  The next best way might be to find a current student or someone familiar with the admissions process at these schools and see if they could give you any more specific information/advice. 

If it's of any comfort, I have several withdrawals on my undergrad transcripts, and none of the grad programs I applied to ever even mentioned them or asked about them in interviews.