Sending Schools Summer Program Info

Frustration

Question

I applied to 10 schools for Physics PhD programs and have only heard back from 1 so far (rejection).

I just received acceptance for a competitive paid summer program at a national lab to do work in my desired field of study.

I feel like this is a great supplement to my applications, but I'm not sure how to go about sending the information to the schools.

There doesn't seem to be a way to add random additional materials on any of the web forms themselves.

Do I send the department an email? How do I approach constructing such an email? Who at the school should I send the email to? Do I include anything as proof? Do I link to the program website?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

1 answer to this question

Did you submit a CV as part of your application? If so, you can email and ask if they would update your CV ("I was recently awarded such and such honor. I wonder if you would be willing to replace the CV in my application with this newer, updated one, attached"). You don't need to explain what the program is or link to the website, or include any proof. You should only be sending this email if the change you want to make is substantial, otherwise you're just wasting everyone's time. 

If you didn't submit anything where something like this would be specified, it's harder to see how you would update the schools. If there was a place in the application itself to add this information, you could ask a similar type of question about updating the actual application. It seems less likely that it would succeed, though, in my opinion. 

If a school has on its website text to the effect that "for questions regarding grad school admissions, contact X", you contact X. If not, email the Director of Graduate Studies or the departmental secretary. If you were in touch with professors before submitting your application and they seemed friendly, you could email them instead.