Official Transcripts? (Duke and University of Virginia)

Because of the online application format some schools, Yale for example, no longer require an official transcript to be sent to the admissions office. Instead, they only require that you send a scanned image of your transcript--at least until you matriculate. Almost all the schools have a place for this on their online apps but also require you to mail in a sealed copy of the official transcript.

I'm trying to order my transcripts from my undergraduate institution so I can have enough to mail into the programs I'm applying. I'm still trying to figure out, however, if Duke or University of Virginia require you to mail in your transcripts in addition to including a scanned copy of an official transcript on their online application. I've emailed the departments but haven't heard back from either of them yet. Does anyone know the answer to this?

If I don't hear by tomorrow, I'll probably just order official transcripts for them anyway to be safe. I would love to save a little money though! Don't want to wait too long, since Duke's deadline is on Dec 8, and the transcript will have to be mailed a couple times before it gets there.

Best of luck to everyone as the first set of deadlines draw near!

I know for sure that UVa requires official transcripts (I called to confirm they really needed me to mail one, considering that I did my undergrad there, and the response was affirmative). Pretty sure Duke requires it too, or I wasted some money sending mine to them.

Edited by Pamphilia