SoP - appropriate to tell your top choice school that they are your top choice??

I don't think it's appropriate nor would it help. You obviously want to go there, you're applying. I don't think saying they're your top choice would help your chances, so there's probably no reason to mention it.

+1. Your entire SOP and application expresses your desire to go there; saying they're your top choice does not really add anything.

And if they were cynical, they could speculate that someone put this in all of his SOPs (not saying that that's what you're doing, of course).

good points. my logic is that my top choice is actually a less prestigious program than others i am applying to, and it's because there is one beyond amazing professor there that i really really want to work with. i think most people who apply there view it as more of a 'safety school' (if such a thing exists for phd programs), so i thought maybe it would be a good way to show that i'm really serious about it and if accepted would attend... plus it's just being honest! but i see what you guys are saying, and will probably just stick with listing all the reasons why it's a great fit and leave it at that.

good points. my logic is that my top choice is actually a less prestigious program than others i am applying to, and it's because there is one beyond amazing professor there that i really really want to work with. i think most people who apply there view it as more of a 'safety school' (if such a thing exists for phd programs), so i thought maybe it would be a good way to show that i'm really serious about it and if accepted would attend... plus it's just being honest! but i see what you guys are saying, and will probably just stick with listing all the reasons why it's a great fit and leave it at that.

Agree with previous posters. And make sure you emphasize what you said here in regards to working with the prof and how you fit into the program.

Yeah, it's not really inappropriate, but it's pretty pointless. I would only bother mentioning it in passing, as in "another reason that University Q is my top choice is that blah blah" or something. Try to convey your enthusiasm with the rest of the things you write instead of just stating that you have such enthusiasm. If you show that you have taken time to research the way the program works, what classes are offered, who the faculty members are, etc., they will be able to gather from reading your statement that you truly do want to go there.

I think it's better to sort of maintain the illusion that it's your only choice. When you write the fit, write it as if you've identified it as the ideal place for you to go. If you say it's a top choice, it's basically reminding them that there are other contenders, making the fit seem relative.

Something I did with my top choices that sort of says 'this is my top choice' without actually saying it was basically this: after writing out my research with, I started the section explaining my fit with, "Ideally, this would be at the University of (blank) due to..."

Short, sweet, to the point, and it let them know why I was interested. Agree with the above posters that outright saying, "This is my top choice school," would do nothing--they already know you're interested, whether it's your first or last choice. Spend the time to find little things about their program you're interested in that others might have missed--a potential training grant, for example, that you could apply for; or some of their certificate programs (if they have any).

A faculty member I am interested in working with actually ENCOURAGED me to indicate that this particular school was my top choice on my application. This goes against what most of you have said, but it's straight from a faculty member! Not sure whether or not he is on the admissions committee...

Rather than saying "you're my top choice!", I wrote something more along the lines of "I believe that University X would be the best place for me to pursue my interests, given the unique strengths of the department in A, B, and C."

It's a way of indicating, "No, really, I love you! You're the best!" without actually having to say it in so many words.

i would express that the school in question is our top choice not by outright saying that it is but by showing that it is. you know, really highlighting your fit with the department, the program, that particular prof you mention you really want to work with, and any resources outside of the department/program that you know you would take advantage of if admitted. i think the effort it takes to know everything about the school demonstrates your deep interest and excitement for the school in question. paying it outright compliments is not going to do the trick, imo, and may just come off as fluff in place or something more substantial.

edited to add: i guess i just echoed Febroni's opinion. and there ya go.

Edited by samjones