Anglican PhD programs?

AGingeryGinger

I was curious if anyone knew of any strong Anglican PhD programs here in the US.

by Anglican, I specifically mean an emphasis on 16th century England with the development of Anglican theology.

The list that I have come up with is as follows:

Yale

Vanderbilt

Emory

Duke

U of Chicago

McGill (Canada, but added because of Matthew Milner)

i know there are a plethora of MDiv programs such as Beeson, Trinity school for ministry, nashotah house, etc. yet it seems that the Anglican PhD other than in the UK is quite lacking and only in "top tier" institutions.

I was curious if anyone knew of other programs with a similar area of study. My concern for further studies is twofold: the scarcity of programs in that field here in the US, and secondly, due to the scarcity a very low acceptance rate.

while Oxford and Cambridge would be a dream to study at. I want to keep options somewhat realistic (although I will still apply there).

thanks!

You should consider the Toronto School of Theology at the University of Toronto. There are two Anglican theological colleges within TST: Wycliffe (evangelical and more conservative in ethos) and Trinity (high church and liberal in ethos). In fact, the two are directly across the street from each other. Both offer graduate-level courses in Anglicanism and share a library, with full access to the wider academic resources of the University of Toronto. TST administers a joint PhD program among the 6 theological colleges (Wycliffe--Anglican, Trinity--Anglican, St Michael's--Basilian, Catholic, Regis--Jesuit, Catholic, Knox--Presbyterian), one of the largest and most diverse ecumenical graduate programs in theology in North America. Students enrolling now will receive the PhD from both their college and the University of Toronto, ranked one of the top universities in the world.

McGill is a good choice if your focus is specifically 16th century, with Torrance Kirby. The faculty and PhD program are much smaller than Toronto's, but there's considerable cache that comes with a McGill degree. 

The Graduate Theological Union might also be an option, with CDSP a constituent member. Harvard Divinity School has several Anglican faculty members. Historically, University of Chicago has been strong in 16th century/Reformation studies. 

• 1 month later...
On February 28, 2016 at 3:18 PM, trinitymatthew said:

You should consider the Toronto School of Theology at the University of Toronto. There are two Anglican theological colleges within TST: Wycliffe (evangelical and more conservative in ethos) and Trinity (high church and liberal in ethos). In fact, the two are directly across the street from each other. Both offer graduate-level courses in Anglicanism and share a library, with full access to the wider academic resources of the University of Toronto. TST administers a joint PhD program among the 6 theological colleges (Wycliffe--Anglican, Trinity--Anglican, St Michael's--Basilian, Catholic, Regis--Jesuit, Catholic, Knox--Presbyterian), one of the largest and most diverse ecumenical graduate programs in theology in North America. Students enrolling now will receive the PhD from both their college and the University of Toronto, ranked one of the top universities in the world.

McGill is a good choice if your focus is specifically 16th century, with Torrance Kirby. The faculty and PhD program are much smaller than Toronto's, but there's considerable cache that comes with a McGill degree. 

The Graduate Theological Union might also be an option, with CDSP a constituent member. Harvard Divinity School has several Anglican faculty members. Historically, University of Chicago has been strong in 16th century/Reformation studies. 

Thank you, I couldn't have wished for a better or more comprehensive list of schools and people to study. After exhaustively searching other schools such as Emory or Duke, none really have 16th century England as an emphasis. So looking at Toronto and McGill with Torrance Kirby I was beyond pleasantly surprised how fitting their area of studies were to mine.

thank you so much! This helped immensely.

Have you spoken with Dr. Paul Lim at Vanderbilt? He's certainly engaged with 16th C. long reformation English history and theology. That said, I got the sense from him that he's far more interested in Puritanism than Anglicanism, and thus supervising like minded students. As well, VDS/GDR only accepts one student per field so if they've recently taken a historical or theological student then your chances of acceptance are pretty much nil.