Duke Sanford 2016

sneeps

Thought I'd get on board the school-specific threads and start one for Duke! Anyone else waiting to hear back? It seems like people heard on the last Friday of February the past couple of years...alas.

I called yesterday (February 29) and they said at that time that they were trying to release them that day but wouldn't be successful. I called them again today and they said that it should be "any day now", likely sometime this week. So at this point, I wouldn't be refreshing my email repeatedly on any specific day--just know that it's probably coming this week.

All: I followed up for a third time and they said that the adcom's timing has been off due to some issues. They didn't specify whether this was due to a surge of applicants (or whether that was a thing this year) or some other issue. They hope to finalize decisions by today but they also said that even if they finish by today, the email might not be sent out tomorrow. So even after they finalize the demographics of the next class, there'll be some technical hurdles that might keep them from sending emails out before next week.

20 minutes ago, AAAAAAAA said:

All: I followed up for a third time and they said that the adcom's timing has been off due to some issues. They didn't specify whether this was due to a surge of applicants (or whether that was a thing this year) or some other issue. They hope to finalize decisions by today but they also said that even if they finish by today, the email might not be sent out tomorrow. So even after they finalize the demographics of the next class, there'll be some technical hurdles that might keep them from sending emails out before next week.

Thanks for the update.  You are awesome!

Edited by sp108

Well, here's hoping that by some miracle we find out tomorrow! I've been delaying booking flights for a wedding I'm going to because I'm not sure if I'll need to make a quick stop in Durham for the open house. I hope everyone else is hanging in there!

Thanks for the update and clarification. I have waited so long and we sit all in the same boat. It is worse with other programmes where some people are admitted with scholarships and I still await notification, sigh. My work day isn't very productive at the moment. 

I was wait-listed. I'm kind of surprised since I'm an applicant going straight out of undergrad but I'm also subtly disappointed at the same time. And I believe that all individuals are guaranteed an assistantship--at least that's how it's worked for past classes. The assignment process might be similar to Indiana, where students are matched with one based on their skills and where appointments may be appealed on a case-by-case basis.

Edited by AAAAAAAA

Guest SIPA_MPA18

I'm in as well with $21K fellowship and $4K assistantship! Congrats to everyone else that made it! 

Well, it looks like I wasn't offered any assistantship because I'm an international student:

"US citizens are also guaranteed assistantships for two academic years of study, conditional upon satisfactory coursework progress during the first year. International students may apply to positions that remain open."

Hi guys. Congratulations to everyone who got accepted! I'm an international student and was offered a $16000 fellowship, but will need much more to be able to make it there. Duke is one of my top 3 choices. Does anyone have any advice of how to negotiate more scholarship/aid money? 

I'm checking, did anyone else get an email from Donna Dyer that said " You’re one of our top admitted candidates, so I wanted to send you a note and say hello."? I would feel really honored to get this, but I have a sneaking suspicion that all the accepted students are considered "top admitted candidates". If not, looks like I should try fighting for some more aid.. :P 

47 minutes ago, jakemc said:

I'm checking, did anyone else get an email from Donna Dyer that said " You’re one of our top admitted candidates, so I wanted to send you a note and say hello."? I would feel really honored to get this, but I have a sneaking suspicion that all the accepted students are considered "top admitted candidates". If not, looks like I should try fighting for some more aid.. :P 

Nope! Feel honored :)

On 3/5/2016 at 7:39 PM, AAAAAAAA said:

I was wait-listed. I'm kind of surprised since I'm an applicant going straight out of undergrad but I'm also subtly disappointed at the same time. And I believe that all individuals are guaranteed an assistantship--at least that's how it's worked for past classes. The assignment process might be similar to Indiana, where students are matched with one based on their skills and where appointments may be appealed on a case-by-case basis.

You'll get a list of all the courses that need Teaching Assistants, professors and research projects that need Research Assistants, and offices like Career Services and Communications which need General Assistants. Then you'll get to rank your top choices that match your schedule for next semester and in some cases, like for advanced courses, you may have to write a short cover letter explaining your grades and qualifications. There's some flexibility to it, but you kind of have to appeal your assignment really early (if you really disagree with their decision) because so many people have assistantships, and professors and all need to plan ahead of time.

On 3/7/2016 at 6:38 AM, kd7432 said:

Hi guys. Congratulations to everyone who got accepted! I'm an international student and was offered a $16000 fellowship, but will need much more to be able to make it there. Duke is one of my top 3 choices. Does anyone have any advice of how to negotiate more scholarship/aid money? 

I would try to only negotiate with one of your top choices at a time - start with the one that you really think is going to be the one you'd like to go to. If you can't make it happen with them, then move on to another one. The thing is - it's usually understood that if they can give you what you're asking for, you're going to enroll. Obviously, they can't make you enroll, but it's good manners to only negotiate with one at a time so you can keep doing so in good faith.

When you negotiate, tell them honestly how much you think it will take for you to be able to enroll there. It really helps if you have another school's offer in hand for a higher amount. Be prepared to send them solid proof that you got a higher offer from another school, because they're happy to give you more or think about matching it, but they often want to see proof that you really were offered another higher package. If you don't have another school to leverage, just be honest about your cost of living, what your savings or credit situation looks like, and maybe you intend on only going into community-based non-profits after you graduate and won't earn a high salary, but have a real reason for why you want more money. It makes it more likely that they'll listen and agree.